2003 not shifting at high rpms

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 not shifting at high rpms

I just bought a new 2003 F 150 5.4 V-8 auto trans w/ trailer towing package. 950 Mi. to date.

Traveling down the highway at 60 mph I stomped on it to pass a car. The engine revved but there was very little acceleration and the tranny didn't down shift to transfer the power. It took about 1/2 mile to wind it up to 70 mph. Later pulling a long hill, I had it floored and could only do 64 mph. The engine was running high rpms but no acceleration. The truck was not carrying a load, just two passengers.

The dealer said it should have more acceleration but perhaps the computer controling the transmission had not programmed its self to my driving yet. They can look at it in two weeks.

I would think with the V-8 this truck should have plenty of power
for passing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or do I just have a gutless truck?

Old 10-08-2003, 05:08 PM
I was just about to make a post concerning this same thing, and then I read your post. I have a 2003 f-150 4.6L with the 4r70w. It has 8,000 miles on it but its all hwy miles. I drive 1,600 miles or more a week. And I have only had the truck for 5 weeks now. But anyway today I was getting on the Interstate and the truck that was in front of me was picking up speed really slow. So I tryed to pass him. At the time I was only running around 25 mph. But when I stomped it down, the tranny shifted down to first I think, and the engine sounded like it was red lining. But the truck was like it was in neutral. Speed actually decreased. When I let off the gas it went back to 2nd gear and done fine. I drove another 200 miles home with no problems. That was the first time I have stomped down on the truck. Like I said all of the miles are Hwy with the cruise set at about 75mph. I havent been to the ford place yet, but I dont really know what to tell them. I have never heard of anything like that happening before.

Thanks
Chuck

Old 10-14-2003, 02:18 PM
Chuck

Last weekend I did a little experimenting on the exact same stretch of Hiway. If I am going 50 mph or less and stomp on it it responds and the speed jumps up like you would expect.
If you are going 55 plus and get on it the engine races but the truck does not accelerate.

However, if you are doing 60 and slowly accelerate 5-10 sec the speed picks up and you can pass. The same held for the long hill.
I got the speed up to 70 mph instead of 64. Still it should do more than 70 on the interstate.

I'm going elk hunting this weekend and will run it through some real 4x4 paces and see how it does.

You should look for a new job. Life is too short to spend
1600 mi/week in a truck.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Bryan,

Mine hasnt done that since that day. I dont know what got into it. I havent had a chance to get it in to the dealership. Been too busy driving it. It rolled over 9,500 today. My warranty will be out by the time I get it looked at. My job takes me all over, and I spend more time on the road than I do at home. I would stay closer to the job, but my wife wants me home every night. As long as my company keeps paying for the trip, Ill keep driving it.

Ill keep you posted on the Tranny.

Thanks
Chuck

Quick Reply: 2003 not shifting at high rpms