Do I need a torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I need a torque converter?

Hey, Recently just put in a good used tranny (the third one) and am having the same problem as before. Truck goes forward ok, but when put into park, you can't rev it past 2,000 RPM. It's like your doing a brake torque. Then, after about 2000 rpm, it jumps into gear, but it's in park. First thought was a messed up linkage, so I disconnected it, and had a friend jump in the truck. I operated it by hand, and it did the exact same thing. New fluid, new filter. I read on Mitchell's that the fluid capacity is only 15 Litres, I put in a 25 litre pail on accident, could that be causing the problem? It's the same problem I had before I put this tranny in, and that tranny was SHOT. PLEASE help! Thanks!

Old 05-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the new trans worked fine before it sounds like the converter has to be the problem there may be nothing wroung with the old one[trans]

Old 05-04-2006, 01:02 AM
I'm hoping so. I've been pricing out converters, and MAN are they expensive! I don't want to buy one, and have it not be the problem. Thanks for the input man!

Old 05-04-2006, 08:26 AM
I haven't figured out WHAT your problm is, but I can't understand how it could possible be the torque converter.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:25 PM
When your first transmission went out was there a lot of metal in the system? Did you replace the torque convertor the first time? Did you flush out the old torque convertor if you reused it? Did you flush out the trans cooler and lines? The reason I ask is the metal from the first failed tranny will be stuck in the old parts you reused if you didn't flush them out. Then when you start up the vehicle with the new tranny the metal will circulate into the new tranny and contaminate it. Usually what happens is the check valves in the clutch drums get plugged up and don't allow fluid to bleed out when the clutch pack is released. This will hold the clutches on slightly (causing low stall speed). Then when you rev the engine up long enough, it will actually start to apply the clutch (feeling like your in gear). Sounds like this tranny is shot now, get rebuilt tranny and new torque convertor, flush the system and your problem will be gone.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is not a converter problem, something else is wrong.
Alan

Quick Reply: Do I need a torque converter?