Towing & Hauling

Initial 2.7 Ecoboost towing review - WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Initial 2.7 Ecoboost towing review - WOW!!

Not too many reviews exist out there with the 2.7 and a decent load behind it. I thought I would share my experience with my '16 screw with the ORP and 3.73's.
I think TFL truck said it best that this engine is a "giant killer!" My old truck with a 5.4 and 4.10 gears can't hold a candle to how effortlessly the 2.7 moves 7k lbs. With the old truck I would constantly feel stressed having to make the engine scream to make this rig move on the freeway or down an on ramp. Not anymore. The performance and experience is night and day different. For anyone on the fence about the 2.7 for a 7k lbs load, I wouldn't hesitate to tow to the max limit of 8k lbs! It's that good. Fuel economy for a short run on the freeway at 65 was steady at 9.3-9.5 mpg... with a 20-30 mph headwind. If you are wondering how much air I was pushing, check out the attached photo. The windshield is almost 10' off the ground. The beam is a full 8'6". Towing this much weight before was not a pleasurable experience. I now look forward to some road trips!

Attached Thumbnails Initial 2.7 Ecoboost towing review - WOW!!-trucks-boat-2017.jpg  
Old 05-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by white elephant
Not too many reviews exist out there with the 2.7 and a decent load behind it. I thought I would share my experience with my '16 screw with the ORP and 3.73's.
I think TFL truck said it best that this engine is a "giant killer!" My old truck with a 5.4 and 4.10 gears can't hold a candle to how effortlessly the 2.7 moves 7k lbs. With the old truck I would constantly feel stressed having to make the engine scream to make this rig move on the freeway or down an on ramp. Not anymore. The performance and experience is night and day different. For anyone on the fence about the 2.7 for a 7k lbs load, I wouldn't hesitate to tow to the max limit of 8k lbs! It's that good. Fuel economy for a short run on the freeway at 65 was steady at 9.3-9.5 mpg... with a 20-30 mph headwind. If you are wondering how much air I was pushing, check out the attached photo. The windshield is almost 10' off the ground. The beam is a full 8'6". Towing this much weight before was not a pleasurable experience. I now look forward to some road trips!
Good to know, I gotta Co-worker that just picked up a leftover 15' with that 2.7