Towing & Hauling

WDH hitch set up for F150 w/scale results

Old 04-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WDH hitch set up for F150 w/scale results

This was my first pull with the F150 so my first stop was the CAT scale. I am trying to get everything set up as perfect as I can.

The trailer is a 2012 Springdale 189fl. The brochure specs are 23'7" length, dry weight of 4179lbs, and hitch weight of 455lbs. The GVWR is 5955lbs.

It is a long story but the F150 is my fourth TV for this trailer. I have made mistakes in the past of not doing my homework and listening to salesmen. I purchased the trailer with an Xterra, then towed it with an older 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71 w/5.3l, traded up to a much newer, nicer and more expensive 2008 Silverado 2500HD w/6.0l. I decided to go back to a 1/2 ton because I do use my truck as a daily driver and a 3/4 ton seemed overkill for a less than 6000lb trailer.

My current truck is a 2011 F150 XLT Screw W/5.0 and 6.5' bed. It has the 4x4 Off Road package so it's got the 3:73 elocker and it does have the factory trailer break controller. It's not max tow or HD payload. The only upgrade had been adding factory tow mirrors. The ratings for the truck are GVWR 7350lbs, Tow 9100lbs, and GCVWR 15100lbs.

I towed with it for the first time last week and I am very pleased with how it performed. It felt very stable, had plenty of power, and honestly I thought the 5.0 sounded pretty good pulling it. The integrated break controller and tow/haul mode worked great. I'll sum it up by saying that I wasn't kicking myself for going back to a 1/2 ton. It towed WAY better than the 2000 Silverado 1500 did. However, I know that the weak point of a 1/2 ton is payload so my first stop was a CAT scale. Here are the results.

For these weights we were loaded up and on our way camping. This is my wife, daughter, and I in the truck. Full tank of fuel (36 gal worth). In the bed is more than enough firewood for 3 days, a generator, a small BBQ and some other misc light weight items. The trailer is basically packed to the gills. Full fresh water tank (that is forward of the axles), 2 brand new 6v golf cart batteries and 2 full propane tanks on the tongue. Full of more than enough food, clothing, games for the now almost 5 yr old daughter, etc.. Basically everything we could need.

1st weight is truck only (with occupants, stuff in bed, full fuel, WD hitch head in receiver).

Steer Axle = 3700lb
Drive axle = 3040lb
Trailer Axle = 0lb
Gross Weight = 6740lb

2nd pass is truck + trailer without WD bars engaged.

Steer Axle = 3420lb
Drive axle = 4100lb
Trailer Axle = 4760lb
Gross Weight = 12280lb

3rd pass is truck + trailer with WD bars engaged.

Steer Axle = 3660lb
Drive axle = 3660lb
Trailer Axle = 4920lb
Gross Weight = 12240lb

My observations are that the trailer weighs 5500lbs, the tongue weight is 780lbs = 14.2%. And I am at a GVW on the truck of 7320lbs, only 30lbs under the GVWR of 7350lbs. Also, that the WDH did in fact transfer 160lbs of tongue weight back to the trailer.

My questions are does it appear that I have the proper amount of tension on the bars? I'm not sure how I pulled it off but is having exactly the same weight on front and rear axles ideal (it drove very nice)? Also, would it be prudent to try and load the trailer in a way to reduce the tongue weight slightly (say to 13%) since I am close to my GVWR on the truck?

I don't anticipate "needing" much more in the truck, but bicycles or a canoe may be wanted for future trips. I expected the payload limitation so I am just trying to fine tune things. For this trip I was within every single possible rating. From tires, to axles, GCVWR, Truck GVWR, Trailer GVWR...etc. It seems like a perfect fit.

I would like some opinions on the weights since there is far more experience with F150's here than I have. Does it seem that the WDH is set up as well as it could be?

Last edited by Idaho33; 04-20-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WDH hitch set up for F150 w/scale results