Towing & Hauling

CIPA slip on vs. factory towing mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**** slip on vs. factory towing mirrors

I currently have the standard size (heated/turn signal) mirrors on my truck and when towing our 29' TT I put on a pair of **** slip on mirrors. The **** slip ons are ok, but I am thinking about buying a pair of the factory 07+ towing mirrors (heated/puddle lamp/turn signal).

If any of you have made the switch like I am thinking of, is there a big visibility difference while towing?

I have never towed with a F150 with the factory tow mirrors, are they rock solid when extended? (no shaking or vibrating) I know the Super Duty units don't move at all, and I kinda expect the ones for the F150 are the same way.

Is there anything else that you do or don't like about the towing mirrors?

TIA

On edit: is there a big difference between the OEM and aftermarket towing mirrors? They look the same and seem to have the same features, but the aftermarket ones are $150-200 cheaper than the OEMs.

Last edited by PHS79; 04-12-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my factory tow mirrors. They get rid of your blind spot and look great, no shaking when extended either

Old 04-12-2014, 04:01 PM
My brother in law works for the company that makes them for Ford and 2 of the aftermarket companies he told me the only difference was the part number and label. as far as the mirrors were concerned but I am not sure if you can get the auto dim on the non Ford made ones. I have the Ford set on mine that he got me he is working on a set of the auto fold mirrors for me when they get the rewiring sorted out. He thinks my truck has the wiring but they have to change the pin out to make the new switch work with the new mirrors on my older truck. If they get it figured out I am on the list to be a test vehicle for them. Still waiting for the phone call that starts hey Bro we got a new product can I play with your truck this week LOL. 8 years ago they came out with a new set of mirrors for older GM trucks and he asked if he could try a set on my truck I sure came home the next day and he was there with a couple of engineers putting mirrors on my old junk truck. When they got done he said I hope you like the new mirrors and left. 400 dollar set of mirrors for free but his boss did not use the pics of the entire truck because it was too beat up. I think he said they used pics of the install in the instructions that went out with the mirrors though.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by 1mainiac
My brother in law works for the company that makes them for Ford and 2 of the aftermarket companies he told me the only difference was the part number and label. as far as the mirrors were concerned but I am not sure if you can get the auto dim on the non Ford made ones. I have the Ford set on mine that he got me he is working on a set of the auto fold mirrors for me when they get the rewiring sorted out. He thinks my truck has the wiring but they have to change the pin out to make the new switch work with the new mirrors on my older truck. If they get it figured out I am on the list to be a test vehicle for them. Still waiting for the phone call that starts hey Bro we got a new product can I play with your truck this week LOL. 8 years ago they came out with a new set of mirrors for older GM trucks and he asked if he could try a set on my truck I sure came home the next day and he was there with a couple of engineers putting mirrors on my old junk truck. When they got done he said I hope you like the new mirrors and left. 400 dollar set of mirrors for free but his boss did not use the pics of the entire truck because it was too beat up. I think he said they used pics of the install in the instructions that went out with the mirrors though.
If they are the same product I might as well save myself some money.
Could you find out which brand of aftermarket mirrors are the same as the Ford mirrors?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Other than the auto dim these are the same as mine
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towin...id=20083084437

Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 PM
I put tow mirrors on my truck before I ever hooked it to my trailer. I got them from truck champ online. I got used to using them when I had my 2500HD. I would not want to tow without proper tow mirrors anymore, I would highly recommend them. They improve visibility while not towing also.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:53 PM
I have not used the **** slip-on mirrors but, did have the factory mirrors on my 2005 F150 for a year pulling my 29' TT before I made the change to a set of the '07+ tow mirrors on my truck. I have never looked back, it was one of the beat things I could do for towing my camper. They bolt right on to the door with no problems, one of the pins has to be moved to get the heat function to work on the tow mirrors. The tow mirrors do not have any movement in them while driving either with them in the stowed position or fully extended.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys! I ended up buying a pair of K Sourse heated/signal/puddle lamp mirrors off ebay for $229 shipped to my door. I got and installed them yesterday, I haven't driven the truck yet but just from sitting in the drivers seat and adjusting the mirrors there is a HUGE difference in visibility! Tomorrow I am going to pick up our deck over dump trailer, it was kinda tricky to see around the bed with just the standard mirrors, so it will be interesting to see what its like with the new mirrors.

The only down side, which I already knew about, is that I only have about 2 inches clearance when pulling into the garage. So until I get our new garage finished, with 10 ft wide doors, I will probably be rolling down the window and fold the drivers side in so I don't accidentally do any damage.

Quick Reply: CIPA slip on vs. factory towing mirrors