Towing & Hauling

Trailer Sway Control WORKS !

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Trailer Sway Control WORKS !

Hi,
I'm towing a 25 1/2' travel trailer @55 mph north on 395 2 hours south of Reno over the 5000' passes, got hit with a 40 mph side wind and the truck lurched, the ecu cut engine power, straightened me out and trailer sway box came up on the screen. Glad the thing actually works
Perry.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Was there a high wind warning? If so, Caltrans does not recommend travel with trailers. I don't know if you could be stopped, but it's not a good idea.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear it!

Definitely nice to have when a cross wind catches you. My 04 F150 didn't have it and there were a couple interesting moments.

Now I have a 2012 so we'll see what this summer brings. You kinda hope you never need it, but yet want to see how the sway control performs...

Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Happened to me the first summer I had mine and was towing my 33' Keystone Bullet Premier. She had a GVWR of 7600 and dry weight of 6100. I was bringing her back from the dealer after a warranty repair. I was traveling about 60mph or so and in some "lite" heavy traffic. This numb nut in a minivan kept trying to get around me, tailgating me the whole time, but traffic flow held him up (I was in the slow lane). He finally was able to shoot around, and then, decided he wanted to pass the car that just passed us. He skirted in front of me, cut me off, then we he realized he was going to side swipe the guy he wanted to pass, he mashed his brakes and began to swerve in front of me. I had plenty of room, but he didn't let off his brakes. So I had to mash mine. I grabbed my steering wheel with both hands in a death grip expecting to hit him in the a@@. I felt a slight tug behind me and I was stopping as if the trailer wasn't behind me. I still had to swerve into the shoulder lane on the right and tried not to oversteer. But the rig held her ground with just minor sway. I finally got slowed enough and the people behind me let me back into the lane. It happened so fast I even didn't have time to think, just react. After it was all said and done, and my heart stopped pounding, It hit me. Wow, the sway control must of done it's job. I don't remember seeing the light in the dash because I was kind of busy at the time. But I do remember feeling the brake pedal pulsing.

Quick Reply: Trailer Sway Control WORKS !