Towing & Hauling

beefing up F150...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beefing up F150...

ok, before anyone jumps on me, I know this won't change what's on the sticker and I know it won't change the truck's legal towing rating...that's not something that needs to be drilled into my head...now, for my situation...

I recently bought my 04 F150 Heritage and shortly thereafter had a major change in job (more money, travel) and am going to be buying a camper soon. I don't know what size yet, gonna find the lightest I can but i'm guessing around 6,500/7,500 lbs...my truck is rated around 5,700 lbs...its a rcsb with a 4.2, 4R100 and 3.55 gears with unlimited slip (lol). I will not be towing this regularly! The next job is about 8 hours away and I'll be there 3 years. I'll most likely get a new truck in that time...so, here's my game plan to make what I have work...

Add-a-lift or airbag setup for rear
Already have good truck tires
4.10 gears (or somewhere around there)
Limited slip unit in rear
Trailer brake setup
Freer flowing exhaust/air intake
Tuner for engine
Bigger transmission cooler/possibly radiator
Electric fan setup
Weight distributing hitch setup
Transmission temp gauge.

Not real sure what else I'll need, but i'm open to suggestions. Can't get another truck right now, so that's not in the equation...thanks for reading guys!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:07 PM
First off, nice handle.

I used to tow trailers in the 5-6000 range. The truck sucked the 1st few times. I did start with a brake controller. Then I had 2 leafs added to the rear and thicker gage coils made for the front. I think air bags would do the same, but be better. I also got LT tires, which made the biggest difference imo. The stock P tires would sag and the rear felt loose.

These changes made the truck drive solid, but it is a dog with heavy trailers especially with the air on or in mountains. But, it is stable. If I still did it often, I would upgrade the brake booster to one from a 97-98 f250 LD or a f150 7700lb package. It's much bigger and others report a performance boost.

I do have the K&N intake, it doesn't seem to be worth it and I removed the mufflers, but that just sounds cool. I doubt either gave me a hp jump. I skipped the other motor mods because I wanted it to last. But, if you plan on selling in a couple of years and it can make it more drivable go for it.

The gears would probably make the biggest difference for towing. I don't think a limited slip would make a difference. I didn't need them because I have a manual, but the tranny cooler and gauge would probably be a good idea. I doubt you need to mess with the radiator.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
How did you manage to bolt a 4R100 onto a 4.2?

That's too much trailer for a 4.2 no matter what you do to it.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:56 PM
My bad, I thought it had a 4R100...what auto comes with the '04 4.2? And 5spd, thanks! That was my handle when I had my 97 super cab 2wd with the 4.6/5-spd, wish I'd never sold it! And thanks for all the advice on helping the truck out.

And glc, you're right. I know it shouldn't be pulling it. I wont be asking it to often...but at least a couple times, I need it to.

Also, the limited slip isn't gonna help towing capacity...but it will help me not get stuck in wet grass ;-).

Old 05-27-2012, 09:37 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You should have a 4R70W.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Ah yes, d'uh! Thanks bud!

Old 05-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For the limited number of times you plan on towing with this truck, I would not be putting in a lot of $$ to justify towing a bigger trailer..

A trailer of that size will require a WD hitch setup, so that will take care of the majority of the sag when set properly. If you are not going to be hauling a lot of stuff in the bed on a regular basis, I wouldn't spend the $$ on an air bag setup just to tow a couple of times.

Other things on your list I would do is get the LT tires. Don't go any larger in size however. Brake controller is a requirement. Exhaust would be nice and I'd just replace the stock 'garbage can' muffler with any aftermarket one and you'll be ahead right there..

I wouldn't do the E fan setup on this truck. Just my own bias on them when used for towing if the truck did not come with them from the factory.

Get an aux trans cooler if it does not already have one. Trans temp gauge would not hurt either.

If you are going to be towing heavy on a regular basis, the gears would be a nice thing...

But, you still only have a V6 that'll get you down the road on the flats, but no matter what you do to it, it'll slow way down in the hills, so just drop into a lower gear, stay in the slow lane and watch your temps.

Good luck with it all!

Mitch

Old 05-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks Mitch! Who knows, maybe I'll replace this V6 with something a little stouter the next time around!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Or you could just rent a uhaul f150 for 20 bucks a day when you have to tow the trailer. No worries about breaking your truck either. I think that the v6 would be in way over it's head with a load that big.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I also suggest renting a F150 or F250 when you need to tow the trailer. I have a friend that got a great deal on a boat but had nothing to pull it with. He rented a pickup or van whenever he wanted to take it to the lake. It was a lot cheaper than buying a truck and worked for him.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
there's always u-haul, penske, hertz, etc for renting trucks to tow with

Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 AM
They don't allow any towing on any rental pickup I've ever seen. I'd never just add a leaf myself, go with a 'overload' leaf system if anything. This way it will still ride like it did before unloaded.

Quick Reply: beefing up F150...