Towing & Hauling

Equal I zer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Equal I zer hitch

I have the equal I zer hitch set up, I towed my camper the other day, I set up my hitch fully loaded, and I have air bags and I loaded my wheeler up and used the air bags to set the pickup height back to stock level, then adjusted my hitch. I got it set with 4 washers, and L brackets in the middle. Now it lowered my rear by 3/4 on an inch and raised my front 1/4 of an inch. It wes well within the set up limits. Now I noticed that it seemed to bounce a lot going down the highway. What can I do to reduce that? Should I add a washer so the front is level and puts my rear back to level or does it sound like its set up just fine? I didn't add another washer because it was within their specs. Just trying to reduce bouncing. It didn't sway too bad, it was windy but I noticed the bouncing more than the sway. Any ideas?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I believe you are supposed to set the hitch first, THEN put air in the bags.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 AM
From searching online all said put air in before with your payload. Bc If you don't have it then the equal I Zer with be set up already without the weight.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dmckinney33
From searching online all said put air in before with your payload. Bc If you don't have it then the equal I Zer with be set up already without the weight.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here but I've read that you should set up the equalizer with the normal amount of air in the airbags. I did find the following quote while searching the Equalizer web site. "Tow vehicle “auto-level” systems should also be disabled or turned off temporarily." I know that this is not the same as your manual level system but I think this means that for the equalizer to be properly adjusted, it needs to do the leveling, not the airbags. Leveling with the airbags then adjusting the equalizer will result in a setup that is under adjusted.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 PM
glc
That's what I thought.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Well If I adjust the equal i zer when the four wheeler is in the back it's trying to level the weight in the bed as well...I don't think they can handle all that weight. Also when the wheeler isn't in the bed it will be over adjusted...? I guess i should call them and see what equal I zer says...

Old 06-04-2012, 02:21 AM
glc
Maybe load the truck, then level it with the bags, THEN hook up the trailer and adjust the hitch?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Yeah that's how I have been doing if. :S lol

Old 06-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Sponsor
I would suggest calling equal-I-zer for there input just to be safe. My suggest would be to hook the trailer with the 4 wheeler in the bed. Adjust the WD hitch until you are close to level, take out roughly 2/3 of what ever drop the 4 wheeler and trailer gave you. Then use the bags to bring it completely level.

There isn't a set way to do them, at least from the air bag side of things. WD hitch manufactures may have there own take on sequence of events. I've seen people do it every way possible and of course they all say there way works great. I think it is more of a trial and error procedure for best comfort as long as both systems are at least being utilized.

Do you have a controller for the bags? Have you tried adjusting the psi +/- to remove the bounce? Might be a thought to consider, if you don't have a controller you might be able to just bring a small portable compressor for a trial run and get it all fine tuned.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah good idea. I have to manually add air to them but I do carry a small compressor. Thanks for your input. I'll let you know what equal I zer says!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In regards to the 'bounce' you are experiencing, does this seem to occur more on concrete roads as opposed to asphalt roads?

Do you still have the OEM shocks on the truck?

My opinion on when to add air to your bags is after you have loaded the bed, set the psi to where you want it. Then hitch up your trailer and WD bars. My only reference point to that is that I have some after market 'overload' springs on my truck. These are for payload and reduce sag when you load up the bed. Since I can't adjust them, I've got what I've got, so when I hitch up my trailer and set the bars, it's distributing based on it's current level.

If I did not have the overloads, my truck would sag more than it does with them when I put the tongue weight on the truck.. So, that's my story! Right, wrong, it's my analogy to the deal!

Good luck with it!

Mitch

Old 06-05-2012, 01:07 PM
What I do:
load the truck, hitch, fill the bag .

hook the WD and put a certain amount of tension(4link left instead of 5 on the chain) but not as much as what I did before having the bags.

It tow like a champ.

Last edited by maxpat82; 06-05-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Equal I zer hitch