Towing & Hauling

High Temps when NOT Towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Temps when NOT Towing

I didn't know where to put this question so I'll start here. I have a 2019 3.5EB that I take off roading up in the Sierras or California desert. I do not tow anything at the moment, just hauling camping gear.
Much of the time this is slow crawling, in 4WD, even in 4Low. I see the transmission temps rise very quickly to 240+- even with very short uphill 4L situations. I am concerned about this vehicle in regards to
tranny temps, coolant temps and heat soak.
I thought about an upgraded CAC but since there is practically no air passing over it I don't see how that will help in my case.

Has anyone installed additional cooling fans? Any recommendations for my situation? The truck does have the max tow package.
Thanks

Old 01-05-2020, 11:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
That DOES seem high and I can't see that an additional cooler would help at low speeds. These transmissions are designed to operate at about 205 degrees as I recall, and that's where mine stays on the highway when I'm towing or not towing. What are your temperatures on the highway?

If this happens only when doing your off-road activities, I'd say you qualify for the "extreme" transmission use scenario and you should change your transmission fluid frequently.

- Jack

Old 01-05-2020, 01:57 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I would address this with a dealer - you are on warranty.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, The truck runs normally in all other conditions. It does run hotter than what I'm used to, but a twin turbo 10 speed is going to make some heat.
I have found all kinds of answers and solutions for towing issues, But larger intercoolers aren't going to help much with the engine/tranny is working hard and
has no/little airflow going through it.

Quick Reply: High Temps when NOT Towing