Towing & Hauling

Towing on snow packed roads

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2000, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Towing on snow packed roads

Anyone have any tips when towing on snow packed roads? Truck: 4x2 Crewcab prolly have tire chains on the rears towing 28 foot travel trailer.(6000lbs +) I'm thinking that moving along shouldn't be a problem but stopping could get a little wild! Thanks!

Old 09-20-2000, 07:53 AM
Getting moving can be fun, but with chains you should have no problem. Just go easy on the throttle....feather it up.
Stopping...the same thing, don't jam on the brakes. ABS or not with a trailer and snowpacked roads a sudden brake will send you into what I calla "six wheel skid". It would be an 8 wheel skid if your trailer is tandem. Basically the tow vehicle and trailer slide one way or the other and can start spinning wildly with either the tow vehicle or the trailer spinning the other. Not fun (carry extra undies for this).

-jeff b.

------------------
2000 F150 4x4 SC/SB 5.4 Auto, Tow Package, ORP (with the sticker for 2000), Cab Steps, Lariet.
Oxford White/Harvest Gold 2 tone.

[This message has been edited by FarmBoy (edited 09-20-2000).]

Old 09-20-2000, 10:01 AM
Thumbs up

Do you have sway/torsion bars on your hitch to the trailer?? Even if you're not in snow, they will help. And of course a brake controler for the trailer because I can tell you (from experience ) that if you don't have that then you will not be stopping that trailer until you run into something. Can you put chains on the trailer tires??? Or upgrade them to snow tires???

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate)

Old 09-21-2000, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the replys. Farm boy, you pretty much discribe what I'm afraid of. While braking, I'm worried that either the trailer brakes will be over powered and cause a skid or they will be under powered and push the truck into a skid.

Tina, I haven't had any problems with sway so I've never installed the sway controlers. I've thought about the chains. I don't know what effect they would have being that the trailer wheels are not drive(powered) wheels. I can picture the trailer wheels locking up and skidding on the snow between the cross links so what would be the point of chains. Anyways, I'm hoping that we'll have a mild early winter and I won't have this problem. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2000, 07:28 AM
re:

Thanks for the replys. Farm boy, you pretty much discribe what I'm afraid of. While braking, I'm worried that either the trailer brakes will be over powered and cause a skid or they will be under powered and push the truck into a skid.
-----------------------------------------

Yeah, there is a pretty fine line there. Basically give yourself room, and try breaking if you can. The bad part is when you start out the trip on dry, and it gets slippery before you know it. Truck breaks loose....whole rig goes sideways. One of the most important things is get the tongue weight right when towing in ice/snow conditions. More important than when on dry.
If you get it wrong you'll know it, but it may be too late. I've towed many miles with snowmobile trailers in tow. All over MI, ontario, quebec, ME, etc.... towing is a challenge in winter conditions. The most important thing is take your time, give yourself room, and no sudden movements.

-jeff b.

------------------
2000 F150 4x4 SC/SB 5.4 Auto, Tow Package, ORP (with the sticker for 2000), Cab Steps, Lariet.
Oxford White/Harvest Gold 2 tone.

Quick Reply: Towing on snow packed roads