Towing & Hauling

Tekonsha Commander not level side2side

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tekonsha Commander not level side2side

Greetings,

I mounted my Tekonsha Commander brake controller under my dash in my SCrew in the same area as http://www.over.to/SuperCrew/
has his mounted. The Commander is an pendulum activated controller. Since the underside of the dash is not flat the controller sits at about a 10 degree angle side to side with the right side higher. I can compensate for front to back level with the ***** but the side to side doesn't have any adjustment. Tekonsha says to keep the unit as flat (side to side) as possible.

Will this affect the sensitivity of the controller?
Yes I know, I can shim the right side but I might distort the plastic underside of the dash and/or break something.
Thanks

------------------
  • Oxford White
  • XLT
  • 4x4
  • 5.4l
  • 3.55 LS
  • Class III tow
  • Keyless entry
  • Power bench
  • Cab steps
  • Ford bedliner

[This message has been edited by GTD/KAD (edited 09-04-2000).]

Old 09-04-2000, 10:29 PM
Thumbs up

Try www.ford-diesel.com they have quite a few members that have the Tekonsha brake controler. I remember quite a few talking about having to level it but I don't remember anything about the "how to" part.

Old 09-19-2000, 10:52 PM
I have my Tekonsha mounted at a severe angle (is actually velcro'd to the dash below the cigar lighter) and was able to adjust the green light (pendulum) to normal -- it worked on the 97 and I merely transferred it to Nick.

------------------
Y2K™ Jim

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Quick Reply: Tekonsha Commander not level side2side