Towing & Hauling

Bumper Hitch vs Tow package?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper Hitch vs Tow package?

I have a 1992 F150 3.55 axle ratio, 5.0. I do not have a tow package on the truck. All i have is the ball on the Bumper. How much weight can the bumper handle before I need a tow package? Could it handle a 16' cattle trailer (not hauling cattle, just furniture)

Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the earily 90's (read pre-1997) Ford bumpers were not a stock item and had to be ordered as an option, just like the spare tire. This meant that some of the trucks had a certain bumper and some had none. Some had dealer installed bumpers.

My point is that there were a large number of different types of bumpers installed on these trucks, and different types on installation of those bumpers.

Most ball mount bumpers were rated at 500#'s tongue weight; but depending on how they were installed you might de-rate that weight.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would definitely get a frame mounted bumper, no matter what weight you are towing. You can get the proper ride height for the trailer, which cannot be done with a bumper hitch. Too high and you have too little tongue weight which can be dangerous. Same with too low with too high a tongue weight. Also with a frame mounted hitch, if down the road you need to tow heavier, you can with a WD hitch. Something that can't be done with a bumper hitch.

Quick Reply: Bumper Hitch vs Tow package?