Towing & Hauling

towing a toyhauler with a 4.6L?

Old 12-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing a toyhauler with a 4.6L?

I have an 02' scab with a troyer tuned 4.6L (112K) new 4r70w (100K warranty) and 34's with stock gearing right now. Me and a buddy are thinking of picking up a toyhauler as they are really cheap right now. My question is with regearing/bigger additional tranny cooler/ebrake controller and helper springs will my truck tow a 6000-7000 pound loaded toyhauler well?

Also I just got back from pismo, I towed a 20 foot carhauler full of toys plus the bed was full. I am guessing 800lbs in the bed plus prob 3500lbs for the trailer. The truck did it fine but could barely hold od on the flats and I would turn it off for any kind of grade, I always hear dont tow in od but when I lock it out it is turning between 2500 and 3k rpms @ 70mph is this ok for the engine? If I was pulling a toyhauler I would def slow down but I am just concerned if I regear it may turn to many rpms?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:59 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Leave that OD *OFF*. Running that engine at anything under 5000 rpm continuously is fine, it will just suck gas like there's no tomorrow.

A 7000# trailer is likely to exceed one of the max ratings. It will tow it though. You *WILL* want a weight distribution hitch. I'd use air bags instead of helper springs, it will ride a lot better when you aren't loaded.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely change your rear. Those 34" tires are going to kill your trannie if you don't. And yes you will definitely be over at least one of your weight limits.

I would definitely stay below 7k, and make sure of your weight before you buy.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I will def be changing the rear end...I was thinking 4.10's originally but if we end up getting a trailer that heavy and my truck is the main tow vehicle I am wondering if 4.30's may be a better choice. I know I will be towards the max capacity but I am thinking with the right equiptment it will handle it?
(I think I actually read 7200? that seems crazy to tow with this truck but who knows)

so you think its safe to turn that many rpms on a motor with over 100K? It runs perfect but it just has me nervous to work it this hard! eventually I want to drop in a 5.4L running boost and maybe a 4r100 (eventually want to turn it into a long travel prerunner)

The air bags are another good idea...we put them on our durango to help tow our big trailer to and from storage. from what I have heard helper springs are sopossed to ride good unloaded too but Ill have to look into the airbags more too!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 PM
also would use a wieght dist. hitch for sure!

Does anybody else on here with a similar truck or atleast a 4.6L tow any of the smaller tow haulers? I am hoping to be able to go with a 20-24ft ultralite model that is (half-ton towable). Obviously the bigger the better but I dont want to over do it and kill my truck!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have a 4.6 or a heavy TH, but my 190,000 + mile 5.4 tows my #5000 TT just fine at 2500 rpms all day long and nets me about 10 mpg towing..

I don't have any worries about taking my rig on a long trip either... I keep all the fluids fresh and don't usually tow more then 65 mph. 60 mph is my rigs 'sweet spot' in 3rd gear. On the grades, it'll downshift into 2nd and I slow down to 50-55 mph only because the engine is 'screaming' at around 3000-3500 rpms, but I'm only about half way into the gas pedal... I can go faster, but no point in that, as when it starts getting to around 4000 rpms, I can actually watch the gas gauge go down!

Actually, when you are in OD and towing, I feel you are working the engine harder by lugging it down below it's peak power rpm and you have to press the gas pedal deeper, dumping more fuel into the cylinders, but not really gaining any more rpms...

Try riding your mountain bike up a hill in say 10th gear and how long is it before your legs start burning? Do the same hill in say 5th gear, and sure, you are peddling faster, and going slower, but your legs don't burn as bad, right?

There is also a huge wind resistance factor to consider with the TH compared to the car hauler you towed.... Try holding a 4x8 piece of plywood up going 60 mph! Compare that to laying that same piece of plywood flat and that's the difference your truck has to make up to cut thru the air. The faster you go, the resistance goes up exponentially too!

I have 31" tall tires with 3.55 gears and it's actually a good combo for my rig... If I had 4.10's, I might be able to hold OD more, but I'd still be reduced to 3rd and then I'd be pulling around 2700 or so rpms to go the same mph. Unless I could hold 3rd on the grades, I'd still be in 2nd and again, pull more rpms to go the same mph with say 4.10's...

I'd go with 4.10's if I had 33" tires however... That'll keep me about the same as I am now for the most part.. You want to match your gears and tire size to keep your engine in it's 'sweet spot' while cruising to get the best towing performance IMO..

With a true 34" tall tire (have you physically measured the height of your tires and that's just not the 'size' stamped on the sidewall?) you might do well with a 4.30 gear?

Anyway, your 4.6 only has a 8.8 rear end and a 4r70 trans, so all the power adders and spring or air bags will still take it's toll on these items in the long run...

In my case, my #5000 TT puts my truck over it's #6250 GVWR by several hundred pounds when it's all hitched up and loaded for a long weekend of camping! I'm still under the rear axle rating by a tad and under the trucks GCWR by over a 1000 pounds, but since I'm over my GVWR, I don't want to tow any heavier, that's for sure! Sure, the truck will handle it and move a heavier trailer down the road, but not give me the performance I want and just wear out the truck that much faster...

Good luck and 'choose wisely' when shopping for TH... They are designed to be 'light' when empty, but have huge CCC ratings and when loaded up with all your toys, it'll get really heavy fast!

Mitch

Old 12-31-2008, 10:49 AM
hey mitch thanks for your great info...the tires are listed at 33.8 inches tall. I'm a little nervous about pulling that much weight with this truck especially since I will also have to climb hills pretty much anywhere I would go

Old 12-31-2008, 01:25 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
It will pull it, as long as you leave OD off and aren't in a hurry. The 4.6 was designed as a car engine, and high revs aren't an issue.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by mxr181
also would use a wieght dist. hitch for sure!

Does anybody else on here with a similar truck or atleast a 4.6L tow any of the smaller tow haulers? I am hoping to be able to go with a 20-24ft ultralite model that is (half-ton towable). Obviously the bigger the better but I dont want to over do it and kill my truck!
I really don't think you are going to get away with one that big. I would say maybe a 16 foot at the most. Even the new 19 foot Weekend Warriors are like 4300lbs. Start throwing toys, wood, and all the other crap and it adds up fast.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toy haulers generally have a lot of tongue weight which means 1/2 ton pickups are over GVWR often before loading up any toys, passengers or gear in the bed. THat's why I say leave the TH for 3/4+ ton trucks.

The 4.6L sings sweetly at 3000rpm all day long, though, so let it free if you must.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 PM
they do have a ton of tongue weight empty,but as soon as you throw 2-3K worth of toys in the back you change the ballance of the trailer and its not quite so bad. Our bigger stacker trailer is the same way until we load it up conciously putting the heavier stuff in the back (it is primarily for our sandcar which has the motor in the back so it helps even it out). I am primarily concerned about how much wear and tear it will put on the motor and trans towing that kind of wieght up hills if I set the truck up the best I can, especially with over 100K on the engine.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I would say you need gears to help the truck the most. I turn 2800rpms at 60mph, 35's with 4:56's and the 5.4. I can push it up to 65 @ almost 3k and then hit OD then RPM's drop to 1900 and I can hold it there. But like you said any little hill and I am back down to 3rd. And the big hills 2nd @ 3k @45mph. And its not a problem of power, its the TQ that I can't keep locked when I come to the hills.

And a WD hitch will take care of any tongue weight issue...

Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 PM
bigdad, what are you towing with yours? Do you think going up big hills at 45mph in 2nd gear at 3k will overstrain it or as long as I can be patient and just go slow it wont be a problem?

Old 01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm pulling a 21 foot toybox that is 4900UVWR with a EX300, Raptor700 and Raptor80. Plus 1/2 bed full of firewood, tools, parts, 100 gal of water, plus the ton of crap my wife puts in there. I gotta be pushing 7 to 8k with just a little math. I think I am doing fine down in 2nd, I am only pushing about 1/2 throttle. It's really the stop and go in town that is the hardest, once you get it moving its cool. Now we did go just camping one time, no toys, no water, I was doing like 80 like it was nothing. If I was you...16 foot, but what are you going to put in there???

Old 01-05-2009, 04:41 AM
3 or 4 full size bikes maybe a couple of quads or a RZR S. That or a couple bikes and a few standup jetskis plus food, wood, etc...and of coarse as many people as possible!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: towing a toyhauler with a 4.6L?