Towing & Hauling

oops. Found out why the truck was jerking and

Old 04-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oops. Found out why the truck was jerking and

bouncing. While towing my boat I felt the truck bouncing and jerking. Thinking it was something with the brake actuator, I called UFP and replaced the shock inside, cleaned and bled the brake system, lubed everyting, only to find it doing the same thing again. Then I remembered that I used to have an 04 FX4, then bought my Jeep and MOVED the winch backwards to open the hatch. I now have an 08 leftover and forgot to bring it forward again. It was the tongue weight throwing everything off. took it to the lake today, floated it on the trailer and moved it forward almost 1 foot and it rides great. Simple fix I overlooked. At least the maint. work on the trailer has been done!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, tongue weight can make a huge difference -

When I load different equipment on my 18' tandem trailer, I watch my rear bumper to get my best tongue weight - even have taken measurements of the rear bumper before and after loading to make sure I have it right.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, simple fix I did not even think of. Only spent 5 hours rebuilding the actuator and bleeding the brakes. Ah, had to be done anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oops. Found out why the truck was jerking and