Towing & Hauling

trans cooler big enough?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans cooler big enough?

I just bought a 2001 f150 xlt 4.6lt with tow package to pull my 6000lb trailer and it has a factory cooler on it. It measures about 3 inch by 8 inch is this big enough to do the job?

Old 04-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you sure that's the trans cooler? Sounds like the PS cooler to me.. Which side is it on? If it's on the drivers side, that's the PS cooler. The factory trans cooler will be on the passenger side.

My factory trans cooler is 5"x11" factory tow package with the 5.4l engine. The 4.6's didn't get a aux trans cooler unless it had the factory tow package.. I know you say it has the 'tow package', but if you don't have two coolers up front, then you don't have it..

Mitch

Old 04-09-2009, 05:26 PM
mitch your right it is p/s cooler and therefore i should get myself a trans cooler. any suggestions on type and size and ease of installation etc

Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I installed Troyer's active trans cooler in my 2000 4.6 last summer for towing my travel trailer. (5,790lbs GVWR)

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...gno=PPI-ATCKIT

I found this cooler to have more than enough capacity to cool my trans. Trans temps as indicated by my ScanGauge II only exceeded 200F once, by a few degrees, and the thermo switch had kicked the fan on by then and the trans temp came down rapidly. This was while towing the TT over a long, high mountain climb in Vermont, and was the only time the trans hit 200F since I installed the cooler.

Unrelated... I spent some time working in the shipyard/drydock in Victoria, BC years ago. Is it still there? And Spinnaker's Brewpub? The people and the scenery were great! Victoria is one of the nicest places I've been.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go for the stacked plate design no matter what.. Sure, you can get those big 'tube and fin' coolers pretty cheap, but I have found the stacked plate design works very well and can be physically smaller in size and still cool more then enough.

Like I've said, I have the stock cooler and I maintain 180*-195* constant temp in the summer time towing my #5000 TT. I go over the I-90 pass to Eastern Wa all the time during the Summer and the most it's gotten was 210* for a short time going up the grades. It would cool back down on the backside. Funny thing is, the temp will do that when I'm not towing anything, going over the same pass!

I looked at the Troyer one a long time ago, but came to the conclusion that my stock one was doing as well as his would, even with the fan... Since the fan only comes on at 180* anyway, mine holds that with no fan at all, so they said I would not see any dramatic temp drop anyway, so they said save my money!

Some folks have gotten the trans cooler they use for the V10 powered SuperDuties and it's essentially a 'bolt in deal' and mounts high above the grill, so it gets a lot of airflow. I think it's Galaxy that's done this mod.

Mitch

Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 PM
thanks for the info guys
yes the shipyard is still there and they are kept quit busy with cruiseship buisness. spinakers pub is still a popular spot but there sales have dropped 10% since you left town.
benny

Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by benny3
thanks for the info guys
Hope it helps. Last summer was my first experience towing with the F150 and I wanted to make sure I didn't cook the trans. There are several good coolers out there. I'm very happy with Troyer's.

yes the shipyard is still there and they are kept quit busy with cruiseship buisness.
Glad to hear that. After I wrote that post, I took a look on Google maps and found it. Esquimalt dry dock, that was it. Quadra Sports Club, too. Almost forgot about that one. I was in Victoria for almost a month... had to find a gym.

spinakers pub is still a popular spot but there sales have dropped 10% since you left town.
Thanks for the reply and good luck with your trans cooler! -Ed

Quick Reply: trans cooler big enough?