Towing & Hauling

Towing with overdrive off destroyed tranny

Old 06-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I got the word from the dealer today, they are going to replace my tranny and hubs and should be done by Monday next week.
When I pick it up I will ask again this dealers opinion on towing with the OD on or off and see what they have to say.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Suspended
I think you just got a bad tranny. I have done lots of towing in different trucks and never turned OD off. Then again I dont drive through hills.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Very interested to hear what they say. I've got over 9k on my 20k truck pulling a 24ft enclosed with OD off. Leaving it in drive is simply not an option. I would have to change the tranny fluid after every trip. This truck is designed to tow, I simply don't believe the tranny will self destruct if left out of overdrive. Very intersted to see what the dealer says though.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by robertmII
Leaving it in drive is simply not an option
Why? The truck will shift into a lower gear if it needs to. As long as it's not constantly cycling gears or unlocking the torque converter, I am of the opinion that letting it go into overdrive doesn't hurt at all.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
As long as it's not constantly cycling gears or unlocking the torque converter, I am of the opinion that letting it go into overdrive doesn't hurt at all.
I doubt that ANYONE who knows the scoop would dispute that, but hauling big loads *WILL* result in a lot of unlocking and downshifting.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
i always click OD off when acclerating and pulling hills, but to maintain speeds the convertor will hold just fine locked. And yes the convertor will cool down when locked, thats why you see the temp increase, keeping the convertor locked is ideal for overall trans temps.

Dont be embarassed to slow down on hills. Take it easy out there.

The most ive pulled was roughly 6k lbs on CIII standard hitch for 100 miles
Name:  DSC02275.jpg
Views: 3899
Size:  7.0 KB

And yes the stock tune will downshift when needed. Just let it do its thing. kicking OD off for approach on a hill, just keeps the trans from having to shift one more time going up the hill and potentially loosing more speed. As long as its not hunting (a shift a second) you are okay.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Well I got my truck back today, new tranny, cooler, and hubs all under warranty I have no answer for you as to what broke this time, they just went ahead and replaced everything besides that all the shop boys had gone to lunch and I didn't want to wait around for an answer.

Next trip towing is July 4th weekend, we shall see how things go then.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:37 PM
You should turn O/D off when towing anything of significant weight. 3rd gear is a stronger gear. (Same thing when using reverse to tug something backwards, reverse is a relativly weak gear when compared to 1st, 2nd, 3rd) It also enables engine braking. Which helps to relieve the stock brakes. Hills or no hills.

According to the Ford F150 2004 Owners Guide it says this.

Under the Driving chapter.

Page 161.

Drive (Not Shown)
Drive is activated when the transmission control switch is pressed. (O/D Button)
-This position allows for all forward gears except overdrive.
-O/D Off lamp is illuminated
-Provides engine braking
-Use when driving conditions cause excessive shifting from O/D to other gears. Examples: city traffic, hilly terrain, heavy loads, trailer towing, and when engine braking is required.

I have a 2004 F150 Scab 4x4 with the 5.4 and auto. I have towed a modified Jeep Cherokee (5000lb loaded Jeep with a 1200lb trailer) over 10k miles and many other various heavy things. Not a single problem. Tranny temps have never gone above 179. Except once, in the mountains near Laramie Wyoming I hit 192. I always lock out O/D with a heavy load. Truck works fine and the transmission fluid looked fine when changed at 30k. It will be changed again at 60k. I simply cannot believe O/D will hurt anything but maybe fuel mileage. Mine is usually 10-12mpg at 60mph. And if you bought a gas engine to tow and were not prepared for the bad mileage thats your fault. Dont take it out on the truck by operating it wrong.

My experiance.
Brian

Last edited by MN-F150; 06-22-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 PM
well what happened, i have purchased a truck (as-is) and my od light is flashing and transmission malfunction light is on as well, what did you do and I know it is under warranty what at am I looking at cost wise? Any idea?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 PM
You've got something going on, my problem started with a bad thermostatic valve which lets the tranny fluid travel from the torque converter to the cooler. without that working the tranny overheated and broke the bands inside.

The hub problems was just a coincidence. In all I don't know what it would have cost as the invoice didn't have any prices listed, I was "told" all the work done was upwards of $6000, this included 2 rebuilt trannys, a drive axle, hubs, vacuum lines, solenoids, tranny cooler etc.
I would later find out that my starter, flywheel and catalytic converter leaking was a result of removing the tranny and not hooking everything back up right causing a tooth to come off the flywheel thus damaging the starter.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=welfare wagon;3569647]You've got something going on, my problem started with a bad thermostatic valve which lets the tranny fluid travel from the torque converter to the cooler. without that working the tranny overheated and broke the bands inside.

So was the the valve just a malfunctioned part and not caused by not using overdrive?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:15 AM
correct, towing with OD off had nothing to do with it, I have towed with OD off for years now

Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 AM
you guys are absolutely right, tranny was completely toast except the case was the only thing left that was good He said the prior owner went hill jumping in the truck Something about the sprag gear? was toast and pretty much everyting thing! Btw what the hell is s sprag gear? $2500.00 but he was going to beef up the torque coverter and on and on, all sounded like japanese to me! Sure wasn't prepared for that much! Said I was getting a deal consedering he was going to beef up the internals for free. We shall see...

Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Was that with your edge on level 2 or stock

Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I don't know what the prior owner had, but I just bought a edge chip! What are you running yours on?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing with overdrive off destroyed tranny