Towing & Hauling

Long tow to pick a trailer!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long tow to pick a trailer!

Well I’m leaving in the morning on a 2600 mile roundtrip adv. to get a new (to me) trailer. I bought a 24ft Haulmark from a guy down in Orlando.

I think everything is ready to go. I got the P3 hooked up last night and confirmed everything works on another trailer. I re-torqued all the lug nuts on the truck to 150 ft-lbs. I dropped the spare and confirmed it’s properly inflated. Getting the oil and filter changed at the dealer today. Troyer’s software is loaded on the Xcal and will upload economy tonight then towing when I get the trailer.

I am bringing my equalizer load leveling hitch with me but will probably try towing w/o to start. If the trailer is moving me around I guess I’ll stop and take the time to install. Bringing a small air compressor/battery jumper, my travel tool box, a trailer tongue lock for the hotel parking lot, flashlight and mass quantities of jerky. Anything else obvious I’m forgetting?

Oh ya, was thinking about tire pressure. I will inflate them to max when I get the trailer but was wondering if I should maybe do this before I even drive down to improve fuel econ. Thoughts?

Leaving tomorrow early and will be back Sunday so I’ll let everyone know how it went on Monday.

Thanks guys,

Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Congrats on the new trailer.

Why wouldn't you use the leveling hitch all the time?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:24 AM
dont forget the beer

Old 09-13-2007, 03:38 PM
I will use the leveling hitch all the time but it takes about an hour to set it up the first time. I would rather not waste an hour if I don't have too. Its going to be a tight schedule. I have a feeling I will deal with it until I stop Saturday night then put it on in the hotel parking lot. It will be dark then and I'll be tired and I'll wish I had done it that morning but you know how it goes..

Last edited by robertmII; 09-13-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:32 PM
If you're going to spend the time adjusting it, why not during the day and before the trip starts?

If anything, just tow a little longer, unless the hotel you're staying at closes early or something.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Got back last night. Drove just over 2300 miles. Had two blow outs on the trailer within the first 150 miles, but I guess that's just how it goes. The previous owner drove 3 hrs to meet me. Why the dam tires couldn't have blown out on him I'll never know.

I did setup the load leveling/anti-sway before I towed. Glad I did too. Even with the Equalizer attached the trailer moved the truck around. It was worst when semis were involved. Never anything I couldn't control just def. noticeable. I wouldn't have wanted to experience it w/o the anti-sway though. I'm hoping once the car is in the trailer its a little bit better.

The truck did great. Gas mileage was a bear though. I drove w/o overdrive at about 75 and averaged about 8mpg. At 65 I averaged 9.2. If I had driven with overdrive on I'm sure it would have been better but w/o knowing my tranny temps I was afraid to let it keep shifting. Next purchase will me something to read tranny temps. Oh the oil and water temps stayed right in the middle of the gauges, never moved at all. Engine was screaming though, about 3000 rpms.

Going to go with the car in the trailer next weekend. It will be interesting to see how the truck does with an additional 3500lbs of stuff in the trailer.

Overall, the truck did awesome and I couldn’t be more happy with its performance and capability. Aside from taking everything I threw at it in stride the ride was extremely comfortable too. I averaged about 12 hrs driving a day and I felt great at the end of every day. No sore back, tired arms or numb legs. The ergonomics on this truck are excellent.

Quick Reply: Long tow to pick a trailer!