Towing & Hauling

Wieght dist. question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wieght dist. question

How far up is too far when pulling up on the bars? Im using a reese set up so it has the round bars. Ive been hooking the bars on the fith link from the end but it doesnt really get the wieght distributed equally. Close but not dead on. When I move it up another link it measures almost exactly the same at all four corners of the truck but the bars are pulled all the way to the frame of the trailer. Id be using an equalizer set up if this had'nt came with the trailer. Also the trailer has a tounge wieght of 630lbs. Im just wondering how much strain the bars or hitch head can take before something gives.

Last edited by 4RDFMLY; 09-13-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Anyone?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The bars are sprung steel, so they will bend pretty good before they break I'd think... The hitch head should be more then capable of handling the pressure.

Sounds like your hitch head is not tilted 'down' enough?? You should try to keep the bars parallel with the ground/frame as much as possible.

If the bars themselves are bending too much, then they might not have enough weight rating on them? For your setup, I'd have #1000 bars for sure.

I run my bars with 6 links under tension. I've tried it with 5, but that's where it starts to actually lift the rear of the rig.

My hitch head has the max amount of 'tilt' on it, so that's why I have more links under tension. 4-5 is the minimum amount you'd want to go IMO....

Mitch

Old 09-15-2007, 08:53 PM
X2 on the head tilt. If your head is not tilted towards the rear of the truck you will have to over compensate with the bars. If I remember correctly, one washer in the head equals one link on the chain. I would start with 5 or 6 washers in the hitch head and 5 links under tension. Check your measurements. You should be level when finished.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I had the exact same issue with my truck....
I had the dealer do the original set up but the kid who did it did it wrong, so I took by hitch back and they re-adjusted it completely.
It had to be lowered a notch and tilted a whole whack. Now the bars are nice and level along with everything else. I use 7 links.
So yeah you NEED to adjust your set-up

Last edited by Arkas; 09-18-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Wieght dist. question