Towing & Hauling

Electric Brake Controller Not Working. HELP!

Old 04-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Brake Controller Not Working. HELP!

Well, I finally picked up my first camper today. In preparation of picking it up I bought a Equal-i-zer hitch and the much renowned Prodigy brake controller.
Problem: When all hooked up properly to the trailer, I get only 2 dots on the Prodigy (just as when it's unhooked). When I activate the emergency brakes on the bottom of the Prodigy I get "nc". All connections seem to be ok. Here's the other half of the story. My F150 has the factory towing package. It had the wiring harness and the two relays in the plastic baggy in the glove box. I installed the relays in the proper place, and used the factory harness and personally soldered the wires correctly, checking them about 20 times to be sure. In the power box under the hood where the relays were installed, there are several fuses. I looked up the location of any electric brake fuse in the ford owners manual. I found no fuse in the slot that says brake controller. It obviously didn't intend for a fuse to be put there because there is only one side of the fuse connection blade in that slot.
That's everything. PLEASE help me solve this if you can, as we're rarring to go campin'!!
Thanks,
Jarvis

Old 04-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Did you get a new or used trailer ? If it's a used trailer there may be some bad wireing at the plug,check the trailer plug see if it's clean and the contacts on the truck plug there may be dirt in it. I put my Prodigy on and it worked great,I got the NC one time didn't have the trailer plug pushed in good.I got the prewired setup with it when I ordered it. Good luck on fixing it for your trip.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:13 PM
I agree with Wildman - check your plug for dirt/corrosion. Next place I'd focus on is the trailer. Check all grounds carefully. If it's used, look for shorts where the insulation has rubbed off wires laying against the frame, especially where it might bend around the edges of the frame.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Do the Brake/turn and parking lights work on trailer? You should try to hook up to someone else's trailer and see what happens. Tekonsha sells a 7-pin tester to plug in 7-pin connector on truck. Costs around $25 and truck needs to be running to test. If nothing works the ground conn on either the truck or trailer could be bad. You need to test to determine whether truck or trailer.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd double think about that fuse slot for the brake controller under the hood.... It's not listed like that just for the fun of it....

Mine is slot #28 and it's one of those big a$$ 30a fuses. Mine looks like the contacts are at the very bottom of the slot, and you really can't see them by looking. I didn't pull the fuse to see what it looked like, but my Prodigy works fine and I've got the fuse...

Oh, when you connect the trailer and turn the ignition on, you should see a small "c" on the dispaly for 'connected'. Then when you slide the manual bar over, you should see the display indicate a number and that's the volts it's passing to the brakes.

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 04-07-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:03 PM
On my 99' Fuse 108 is "Trailer Tow Electric Brake". If you pull it out "30A Maxi" the Prodigy brake controller goes dead because it has no power, no double dot led's. So he must have a fuse in the right spot because the brake lead is only for a signal not power to controller. Also there is 2 blades sticking up under fuse. It's hard to read relay locations on under side of black cover. I did pull out fuse because I wasn't sure what would happen. Sounds like wire to controller is done rt. But I prefer the prewired one for $13 to make sure and make pretty. I love a good mystery, but I prefer it to be someone else's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Brake Controller Not Working. HELP!