Towing & Hauling

Trailer Coupler Locks

Old 03-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Coupler Locks

After reading this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=188217

I got to thinking, what is the difference between these two locks in their effectiveness in deterring trailer theft? I've already got the second one below and assume that it would be impossible to secure the coupler to the ball if you were to use this lock while the trailer is unattended. The ball would never seat properly into the coupler while the clip is engaged and locked down.

Thought I would save the $40 and keep from having to add another key to my set.

Old 03-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Good question whether one is better than the other. I happen to have the first one in your photos (the black one). Perhaps the most important question is "how easy is the tumbler to defeat". It would seem that the only way to defeat the black one is to attack the actual tumbler. The other design might allow one to use a hacksaw to saw through the locking shaft.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:48 PM
There is also this route:

or one of these

Old 03-11-2005, 06:12 PM
I don't know, I too am on the market and I heard that there is an attachment that some professional thieves have that slips over the coupler, lock and all, and provides a second coupler. This allows them to steal a trailer seemingly no matter what. With my new boat, that is not cool. But I guess like someone else said, if they want something bad enough, they will steal it.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess you could purchase a wheel boot (immobilizer) and place that on the trailer wheel to slow a thief down. I bet they are expensive though.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:42 AM
I had a friend cut his hitch off. He then welded a 2" reciver to the trailer and made a adaptor that he can pin in there with the hitch on it.

It would definatly slow them down. I dont know how safe it is, but it sure looks OK to me.

Old 03-12-2005, 11:33 AM
I agree that there really isn't a cure-all. I'm just looking for a deterrant. Already own the lock that is used while the coupler is cliped to the ball (while towing) - and was looking at the other lock that is used while the trailer is unattended.

My key ring is getting crowded

Old 03-15-2005, 05:19 PM
My dad had a lock like yours on the trailer hitch, and had the trailer locked onto his truck. To make a long story short, the key ended up at the bottom of Lake Cumberland. We took the truck and empty trailer to a local service station, and the guy took all of about 30 seconds to cut it off with a torch.
Like you said, if somebody wants it, they will find a way to get it. Your lock will work well tso slow potential thieves down and make them work for their bounty.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Get the type that covers the hole. I've heard of people getting a smaller ball (1 inch?) which would fit in your hole even if the flapper thing is locked down. They wouldn't want to tow it over any big bumps or anything. But then these are theives we're talking about.

Does that make sense?
--
Mitch Lewis
'05 SuperCrew FX4

Old 03-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by mitchman
Get the type that covers the hole. I've heard of people getting a smaller ball (1 inch?) which would fit in your hole even if the flapper thing is locked down. They wouldn't want to tow it over any big bumps or anything. But then these are theives we're talking about.

Does that make sense?
--
Mitch Lewis
'05 SuperCrew FX4
Now that is something I didn't think about! Very helpful!

Old 03-16-2005, 01:24 PM
I use a lock similar to the second pic (brass color). I am told that a thief could remove the nut that holds the actual coupler. This nut is underneath the coupler housing. It points towards the ground. He could put it over the ball and reattach the nut.
I have used a Kryptonite Bicycle/Motorcycle cable lock to attach the trailer to the truck or a light pole in a parking lot. I only do this when parked. I run the cable through the trailer frame and the hole in the frame mounted hitch. This hole is normally used for safety chains.
I also use a good quality locking hitch pin.
I always keep the coupler locked shut when the trailer is unattached, even in my garage. My German Shepherd is on patrol and I keep a loaded .357 mag in the house at all times. If I could teach the dog to use the .357, my security system would be perfect...
Luckily, nobody that I know of has ever attempted to steal my trailer.
Oh yeah, I have theft insurance on my boats in case the security system fails.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer Coupler Locks