Finding MAC address

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finding MAC address

Hi, new to the forum. I searched and could not find relative information. With SYNC's wifi on I can see my home network. Because it is a closed network I need to get the MAC address from the truck in order to connect for updates using my home's network. Does anyone know who I have to contact (online help is not helpful) or how to do it through the system to find the MAC address for the truck?

Any ideas appreciated.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Go to your truck - setup a wireless network you can connect to. Connect your phone to the network - open FING and scan. You'll get the IP and the MAC address right below it for all devices on the network - your phone and your truck. The one for your truck is appropriately named Ford Motor Company.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:22 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Go into your router admin and temporarily disable MAC filtering. Connect the truck, look in the router's admin for the MAC, add it to the permitted list, and re-enable filtering.

Another option is upgrade Sync with a USB flash drive, after doing the update it will dump a XML file onto the flash drive, open that on a computer and read out the MAC.

If you have a phone that's capable of being a hotspot, turn that on and connect the truck, you should be able to find the MAC of the connected device.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Thumbs up I used FING

Originally Posted by ManualF150
Go to your truck - setup a wireless network you can connect to. Connect your phone to the network - open FING and scan. You'll get the IP and the MAC address right below it for all devices on the network - your phone and your truck. The one for your truck is appropriately named Ford Motor Company.
Thanks this worked like a charm. FING is a pretty handy app.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:44 AM
Thumbs up Thanks GLC

Originally Posted by glc
Go into your router admin and temporarily disable MAC filtering. Connect the truck, look in the router's admin for the MAC, add it to the permitted list, and re-enable filtering.

Another option is upgrade Sync with a USB flash drive, after doing the update it will dump a XML file onto the flash drive, open that on a computer and read out the MAC.

If you have a phone that's capable of being a hotspot, turn that on and connect the truck, you should be able to find the MAC of the connected device.
I appreciate your help!

Quick Reply: Finding MAC address