Basic questions about Sync

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basic questions about Sync

Hey guys, I am new to sync and just have a couple basic questions. What does it mean when people refer to indexing? Is this only done when a media device is connected via USB? Also, does this mean sync actually stores the songs itself, and you could play them without the media device once the indexing is complete? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm just trying to learn how this works. Also, this is for the regular sync without the touchscreen if that matters.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't profess to be a Sync expert though I know a little something about computers and files located on computer storage media.

Indexing is a computer process that provides for quicker access to files that are stored in storage media.

You'll see that "Indexing" notice appear whenever you insert your storage media (Flash Drive or SD card). I believe the sync computer is reading the names of the files on the storage media and "remembering" where on the media these files are located.

This is useful for when you do a voice command to play a folder, play a playlist or play a song. The sync computer "knows" the address of the music file and will quickly go to it and begin playing.

In short the indexing procedure hastens the process of getting to the specific file you desire.

The songs (music files) continue to reside on the storage media and are not transfered into the sync itself.

Again this is my best guess and if folks more familiar with sync can correct me, I'll add that to my limited fund of knowledge.

Quick Reply: Basic questions about Sync