SVT Raptor F-150

Get rid of that embarrassing fan!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get rid of that embarrassing fan!

Hello fellow Raptor owners/enthusiasts!

I bought a 2014 SVT Raptor a month ago, and for the most part, I'm happy with the purchase. There's one thing I absolutely cannot stand about this truck, though: The fan.

Honestly, the noise this fan makes is totally inexcusable. There was a time where Ford was patting itself on its back for the incredibly quiet and smooth vehicles they were putting together, but this fan is an absolute joke. I have 2kw gas generators that put out less dB than this ridiculous fan.

Maybe I'm a little vain, but I didn't buy the Raptor purely for function - I could have saved $5k-10k and just got myself a FX4. Part of the reason I bought it was for the "awe" factor. But start this bad boy up in front of a group of people who aren't expecting it and "awe" turns to "eww" in less time it takes to hit 0-60.

Why are people okay with their $60k trucks sounding like a shop-fan's version of a heavy metal concert? Has there been any community generated fixes out there for this? My 2010 FX2 (which was almost half the price) didn't do this, so why is this okay, now?

Any community fixes for this yet? Any programs that can dial back this ridiculous fan's RPMs, or any aftermarket fans that are quieter?

Edit: For the record, I know it has to do with the AC, but my point is that my 2010 FX2 didn't have any problems with its AC or fan, so why are the newer and better models plagued with this embarrassing noise?

Last edited by FillintheBlank; 08-11-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Have you ever consider that there is something wrong with your Truck, while others are fine. I have a 2012 Raptor and do not hear my fan making any over the top noises.

Take yours in

Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
your 2010 had a mechanical fan with an electromagnetic clutch
your 2014 has twin electric fans

You can dial in fan strategy with a tuner, but your AC performance will suffer.

My advice is turn the radio up, and/or get aftermarket exhaust. Nothing obnoxious, just a nice mellow rumble to it.

FWIW, my 2014 doesn't seem to run the fans long enough for my taste and the AC performance is mediocre at best

Old 08-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2009 has a mechanical fan. 2010s have a dual electric setup.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 AM
Global Moderator &

You're right, I couldnt remember the exact year it changed over.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by hogdust
Have you ever consider that there is something wrong with your Truck, while others are fine. I have a 2012 Raptor and do not hear my fan making any over the top noises.

Take yours in
Good for you. You probably don't live in Phoenix, AZ where it's over 110 degrees. After reading all of the same issues people are having, I'm confident it's not an issue with my truck. Thanks for the pretentious and ignorant reply, though.

Originally Posted by Patman
your 2010 had a mechanical fan with an electromagnetic clutch
your 2014 has twin electric fans

You can dial in fan strategy with a tuner, but your AC performance will suffer.

My advice is turn the radio up, and/or get aftermarket exhaust. Nothing obnoxious, just a nice mellow rumble to it.

FWIW, my 2014 doesn't seem to run the fans long enough for my taste and the AC performance is mediocre at best
My AC performance is great, I can't complain there. But my 2010 was great without all the noise as well. I mean, it would kick on and it would be loud, but it wasn't a constant like the newer Fords are. As far as blocking out the noise - that's not the solution I'm looking for. I want to not be embarrassed by the horrible noise my expensive, performance truck makes, and I want to be able to order from a drive through without turning my truck (or AC) off. :/

Old 08-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the evening/night time hours when/if it (somewhat) cools off do you have the same issue with the fans running WFO?

Old 08-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Llama_Lariat07
In the evening/night time hours when/if it (somewhat) cools off do you have the same issue with the fans running WFO?
Yeah, all day or night. In fairness, it's still close to 100 degrees at night where I'm at, and the AC is on all the time, but as I've mentioned, it didn't do this on older models, there's no reason for it to be like this, now. This was a major step in the wrong direction in my book, and something that would have seriously made me reconsider spending $50k on my truck.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Global Moderator &

I shot a video of mine this weekend. But I haven't posted it yet

Old 08-19-2014, 03:25 PM
I shot a video of mine this weekend. But I haven't posted it yet
I've posted this in a few subforums already, so forgive my redundancy, but here's my video (40s is when the fan kicks on)

The camera software does too good of a job dulling the noise, so it's hard to get a true idea of just how loud it is, but if you consider you literally can't hear the engine or the exhaust when it kicks on, you know something isn't right. I mean, I get that it's supposed to do that, but it's still wrong...

Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Global Moderator &

2014 F150 5.0 Fan running high speed 102* ambient temp, hot restart, in the sun, Max AC running medium fan speed.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Global Moderator &

After watching your video I wonder if being inside the garage is causing more echoing and noise issues than if you were outside?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:29 PM
After watching your video I wonder if being inside the garage is causing more echoing and noise issues than if you were outside?
The environment has no impact on the amount of sound the fan generates. You stick a dosimeter in front of the truck and it's going to read the same levels regardless of where the truck is parked. The closed space, however, does not let the sound disperse as quickly, so it "sounds" louder, but isn't. I think the video does a pretty good job at accentuating just how bad this issue is.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Global Moderator &

You also have different thermal properties as well. That's like putting a cooler full of ice in the microwave and expecting the ice to melt right away.

The truck is designed to disperse heat into open air, and putting it in a confined space means it has to work harder to get the heat out of the truck

Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 PM
You also have different thermal properties as well. That's like putting a cooler full of ice in the microwave and expecting the ice to melt right away.

The truck is designed to disperse heat into open air, and putting it in a confined space means it has to work harder to get the heat out of the truck
You're missing the point, entirely. It does this every. Time. The. AC. Is. On. Just because I wasn't going to bother moving my truck outside to record how loud the fan is doesn't mean the fan isn't loud. Why am I even having to explain this right now?

Quick Reply: Get rid of that embarrassing fan!