vehicle warranty and lift kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question vehicle warranty and lift kits

I was told by a co-worker that there is a federal regulation that states if a lift kit is professionally installed then ford still has to honor the warranty. Any truth to that? I was under the impression that if you put a lift kit on a truck then it will void the warranty. I have a 2002 F150 Super Cab XLT FX4 that I want to lift.

Old 11-08-2002, 05:21 PM
The lift kit will only void the warranty if the cause of part failure is directly related to the lift or the larger than stock tires.

Tommy

Old 11-09-2002, 04:04 AM
that is true, but dealers will try there best to get out of fixing it no matter what, you probably wouldn't believe what they would come up with to get out of paying for the work. My friend had a chip in and his truck was an 01 lariat, and the left valve cover gasket was leaking so they tried to give him B.S. about fixing it due to the chip, not really related but it is a good example, best bet is to not lift it until the warranty goes out or don't worry about it because they will try to get out no matter what.
Just an opinion..good luck.

Nate

Old 11-09-2002, 11:11 AM
they voided my exhaust warranty yesterday because of a gibson muffler. i have had a leak in my exhaust since the day i got it and i took it in finally yesterday and he said they wouldn't do it.

i guess i don't understand how the warranty work works. i would think that the dealership does the work and sends ford a bill. is that now how it works? i would think not now because of them not fixing the exhaust leak.

Old 11-09-2002, 02:59 PM
I did some research last night on the subject and I found the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It susposedly protects consumers against situations like this. The way that I read it is that if the aftermarket part caused the problem then the company issuing the warranty is not responsible. At no time though is the warranty allowed to be voided. In fact, I read a portion which states that "...in cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the part manufacturer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided", source: Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975; article found under the usdieselparts.com web site. I also printed out the entire regulation and it cocurs with the above. You can call the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to ask questions/make complaints at: 1-877-382-4357. Let me know if that is of any help.

Dan

Quick Reply: vehicle warranty and lift kits