TTB High Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb TTB High Lift?

Is anyone here familiar with the 78-96 ford TTB front end? i'd like to do a high lift setup without converting to the pre-77 solid front axle. the only idea i could think of was an 8-inch diff-drop and 4-inch bent I-beams. the drop-downs are the most conventional way of lifting, and the i-beams add another 4 inches to the height without altering the steering and suspension geometry.
so my question was, would i be able to use an 8-inch diff-drop in combination with 4-inch bent i-beams to achieve 12 inches of total lift? if anybody has any tips or tricks on the subject anything would be helpful at this point.
also, i sought to gain an extra 3 inches of lift using body mount spacers, but the offroad race shops warn that these are unstable and unsafe and generally should not be used. any input on this subject would be helpful as well.

Old 10-17-2002, 09:39 PM
From everything i've heard about the bent I beams is that they are extrememly unstable on the road. When you put the wheel so far down away from the drop down brackets in the center of the diff it puts an extreme amount of pressure on them which leads to death wobble at it's best. BTW, why are you trying to lift a TTB that high and don't want to go with a straight axle? It seems like a straight axle would be cheaper in the long run.

Old 10-18-2002, 12:53 AM
ok then it's settled - solid front axle from www.broncograveyard.com ......now my only question which wasn't answered before is what other problems does a body lift present besides having to extend all my linkages and hoses and such (all of which are included in the kit i would be purchasing).
once the installation is complete, will i have any problems with performance, handling, or could i be damaging my truck in any way? some shops say that i risk causing frame damage by lifting the body, though i don't see how. again, any input is welcome and would be very helpful
thanks

Quick Reply: TTB High Lift?