Front end "popping"

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front end "popping"

I am new to the group and am hoping for a little friendly advise.
I bought a 98 F150 4x4 a few months ago. Recently I have noticed a "popping" or "creaking" noise coming from the front end. It occurs whenever I accelerate from a stop or hit the breaks from speed. It doesn't seem to matter if the wheels are turned or not. I can feel it through the peddles as well as the steering wheel. I plan on getting underneath this weekend to change oil and such. Does anyone know of anything in particular I should look at/for? Any info would be great.

Old 09-28-2002, 10:26 AM
not sure on this but your brake pads may sliding a little in the caliper.. when stopping...try this go foward hit brakes should hear a little clunk..then go in reverse and hit the brakes you should hear a clunk again...this happened to me when changing pads out...i use to use powerslot pads for my powerslot rotors and they would do this all the time untill they got seated good...now i used a different brand and there was no clunk.. so i think the power slots may have been a hair too short.....

Old 10-01-2002, 02:15 PM
Hi Mason Welcome!

Like rousch said...check out front brakes and also rotors...could be something there...rotors sometimes warp. Not sure about noise but i think a warped rotor you would feel.

Try search...popping/bang noise from front end...may not apply to you...but was posted awhile back. These noises were not all the time and seemed to occur under certain slow turning conditions?

It may have been something to do with the idler arms???? Loose?

Good luck...OT

BTW....do check out the brakes etc.(front/rears) better safe than sorry! Unless you know for sure they are OK.

Old 10-01-2002, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys for your input. I will definitely take a look at the brakes to see if anything is loose. The brakes were done just before I bought the truck so there is the possibility it wasn't done quite right.

Old 03-22-2003, 02:16 AM
Hi, sorry to bump an old thread but I have an IDENITCAL problem. I was wondering if a fix was found?

Old 03-23-2003, 09:01 AM
First off..Thanks for using the search !!!!!!! It does work !!! Hehh...Hehh.....The only thing that i did was nothing ...The pads just finally set after driving a while....Are your pads new ?

Old 03-24-2003, 12:23 PM
ROUSHFAN what brand of pads did you go with after the powerslot pads? I just insatlled Powerslot rotors and HAWK Pads on my truck.

Richard D.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 03-24-2003, 05:11 PM
You know i don't even know? I got the top of the line at autozone i think....

Quick Reply: Front end "popping"