Small "shudder" on take-off

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small "shudder" on take-off

I got a new Screw yesterday. When taking off from a complete stop, I feel what I can only describe as a "shudder." And I don't think that is even a very good word for it. Its very short. It almost feels like the tires are breaking loose for an instant, then it goes away. I know its not that because I'm not hitting the gas hard at all

I'm pretty bummed given that I just got the thing yesterday. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 08-15-2002, 06:09 PM
I'd first check the rear tire pressure to make sure it's even and maybe add some friction modifier to the differential if it's a limited-slip. Could be that it wasn't added at the factory. It sounds like something loose inside the differential, but it could be as simple as the tread on your tires needing to wear a bit.

Beyond that, there may be something loose between the engine and the rear differential. Maybe a transmission or engine mount.

It may also just be the truck breaking-in. If this is something that's going to progress, you have plenty of time left on the warranty for Ford to find it.

I don't think that you should worry about it too much yet.

Old 08-16-2002, 04:46 AM
whe my truck was new. i got that every so often. when i took off and was turning. it didnt have to be a sharp turn. just a normal turn. it would shudder. it was the rear end. i thought ok it need's friction mod. but dang its a new truck. i know its in there from factory. so i just drove it. and now its ok. i think maybe its just the clutch pack breaking in. in the rear end. now that is when taking off in a turn. if your is going straight. then i'm not sure. good luck.

Quick Reply: Small "shudder" on take-off