leaf spring removal..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaf spring removal..

one of my friends suggested taking out one of the rear leaf springs on my truck. he had done it to his and it dropped it about 1" in the rear (not sure exactly). he said that it also made the ride smoother. should i go for it? i have to go get my window fixed at Ford anyway...so i might ask them to take one off for about $15-20. what do u guys think?
later
JP

Old 08-13-2002, 12:17 AM
silver...

you might check with HiOSilver'01 on removal of the overload leaf. He just did it on his and it dropped 1".

Also, I also doubt if the dealer will take you up on your offer of $15-20 to take out both leaf spring assemblys, unclamp the pack, center pins, etc., and re-install. Tis a bit of a job. You might think about getting some 2" drop shackles for $35-40...it will net you about a 1.5" drop and their super simple to install (30 minutes max.)

Old 08-13-2002, 03:41 AM
Like area 52 said, not gonna happen for 20 bones. Cant even get your oil changed for that.

Remove the overload spring? Not a good idea. This is the spring that keeps the set from inverting. Its alright when there is not a load on them, but over time, the springs will break down and loose some of there arch. Removing one of the other springs might be ok if you have one of those shiny beds and dont have a trailer hitch, and could soften the ride. I would go with the lowering shackels or something though.

Old 08-13-2002, 06:57 PM
spaceman12321 -- hey, i'm not doing this to lower it.. my friend just said that he got his done for about $20 at a repair shop and it made the ride smoother.. <-- thats what i'm looking at. i dont mine dropping it maybe 1" or so, but not those serious 3" drops and stuff.. thats not me.
also, i dont have a trailer hitch, and probably wont get one either.. i'm more of a city-boy and don't really haul anything around, except my dog occasionally... what if i have just one of those smaller springs taken out?
i'm just looking to smooth the ride some. thanx
JP

Quick Reply: leaf spring removal..