Rancho RSX vs Edelbrock IAS

Old 08-09-2002, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rancho RSX vs Edelbrock IAS

I own a 2001 Supercrew 4X4 with the towing package and a Helwig rear sway bar. It has 18000 miles on it. When I have a little load in the bed and go over a bump which makes the truck compress the suspension I get a lot of upward movement in the rear of the suspension (kind of like being on a diving board).I have read a lot of posts here about shocks. I am assuming either of these two shocks will be better than the stock shocks.
I don't hardly ever go off road but I do occasionally load her up with camping gear and our small pop up camper which weighs 900lbs (this is when I get that bit of floating movement.
I don't want a harsh ride.
What would be the best shock of these two for my truck and if someone thinks another shock would fit my needs I'll be happy to consider them as well.
Any thoughts?

Old 08-09-2002, 03:16 PM
I have more of a question for you about your Hellwig Sway bar, how was the install, how's the ride after installation, where did you purchase and price.

BTW - I have recently installed RS9000 shocks all around on our 01 SCrew and am really happy. I haven't tried the Edelbrock but have heard nothing but good about them. I sometimes tow a small utility trailer and very rarely tow a 24' camping trailer, when towing I set the rear shocks to a 5.

Hope this helps, you can e-mail me directly about the sway bar at mayday92@yahoo.com.

Thanks

Old 08-09-2002, 03:53 PM
I'm the mirror image of the previous post - I have the Edelbrock and have heard nothing but good about the Rancho.

IMO both Edelbrock or Rancho will be so much better than the stockers you will be delighted with whichever you choose. At 18k, your stockers are probably pretty worn, too. The aftermarket shocks will last much longer.

On my truck, the Edelbrocks ride very smooth (the shocks react quickly to rapid movements like potholes). The Edelbrocks greatly reduced body roll during cornering (the shock is more resistant to slow shock shaft movement like during cornering).

These shocks are far more sophisticated in design than the stockers and offer better ride, better cornering and better offroad. Well worth the $ IMO.

Old 08-09-2002, 07:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I just put Monroe Reflex shocks on the front of my truck, and I was impressed with the improvement! The body roll was less, and it kind of glides over sharp bumps now. I'm definitely putting a pair on the rear as soon as I can!! I just couldn't make myself pay $300 for a set of shocks, and then do the labor myself. I guess I'm cheap sometimes, but hey it's money, lol!,,,,98

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 08-11-2002 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:11 AM
i would go with Bilsteins...i know they are pricey about 70 bucks per shock but i love them, had them on my 2000 4x4 ranger great ride......just my .02

Old 08-11-2002, 02:46 PM
Supercrew,

I have the same truck and sway bar as you. Origianally I had the same complaints that you do. I've put the RSX's on my truck and have loved them. Wouldn't change a thing.

Old 08-11-2002, 09:09 PM
Gearhead,

Could you elaborate a little more on the different type of ride your RSX's gave you over stock?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2002, 09:58 PM
I had the RSX's on my '99 Supercab. They were a tremendous improvement. They greatly reduced body roll, and the bouncing I was experiencing in the front went away. I had about 30K on the truck when I replaced them. The factory rear shocks were still in good shape, but the fronts were shot. After compressing them, it took a good 30 seconds for them to decompress. Ford seems to use very poor quality shocks up front, or possibly too small of a shock. They fronts are very small, and I would imagine the shaft moves further in and out, thus wearing them out more quickly than a longer shock. Just my .02 worth.

Old 08-11-2002, 11:32 PM
Significantly less body roll and the though the truck would compress over a bump it would slam on the downside of it. The RSX handles compression and expansion equally as well. Feels quite stable.

Old 08-16-2002, 12:19 PM
I am trying to make the same decision Rancho, Edelbrock or Bilstein. I think I have eliminated Bilstein. Where are you guys buying shocks? On line or from a retailer? I checked JC Whitney and they did not list the Edlebrock for newer F150's. Any help on best place to buy would be appreciated.

Old 08-16-2002, 01:19 PM
Rancho's

I got my RS9000's from http://www.truckperformance.com/ at a pretty good price. I recall checking around and they were least expensive. I suspect their RSX are also a good deal.
-gray

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rancho RSX vs Edelbrock IAS