Do all F-150's ride like crap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do all F-150's ride like crap?

I bought my 1998 Flareside Supercab 4 x 4 Lariat a little over a year ago and it rides like I am constantly driving on a gravel road. It doesn't matter how good the road is; I feel it in the steering wheel, and the mirrors shake, not to mention my cell phone cradle looks like it is about to spin into orbit. I had new good year AT/S wranglers mounted balanced and aligned last June. At the same time I had new monroe heavy duty shocks done all the way around. Now my front tires are cupping, which were rotated to the rear of the truck. I love everything about my truck except the fact it rides like hell. My Tacoma extra cab 4 x 4 rode better...Any thoughts from the experts? I have had all the tire and suspension work done by Kaufman Tire and I have a warranty on the tires.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:37 PM
Nope mine rides dang near as good as my Town Car.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:38 PM
It could be any number of things:
1. Did you have an alignment done?
2. One or more of the axles could be bent.
3. A rotor warped really bad.
4. Drive line weight fell off.

None of this was meant as a flame, these are just some of the things you should check first. I hope you are able to find the culprit, I had a '98 xcab (4X2) that rode like a dream. I really don't think 4wd would make that much of a difference.
Let us know if you find anything.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:52 PM
Hi,
I know this sounds dumb but we (tire shop) used to replace a lot of tires because of incorrect inflation. I had the stock Goodyear Wranglers for well over 50000 miles but I checked the tire pressure every week and rotated them every 6000 miles. If you have been doing this then it could be something in the previous post.

Old 07-30-2002, 10:12 PM
No problems here.

Old 07-30-2002, 11:20 PM
Rides like a dream!

Old 07-30-2002, 11:25 PM
No ride problems here. In fact, I'm surprised how well it rides and handles.

Old 07-30-2002, 11:26 PM
I find that my Goodyear RT/S tires demand being rotated and balanced every 5K miles to keep the coffee in the mug.

To prove a point -- merely exchange tires/wheels with another truck.

Old 07-31-2002, 12:08 AM
Angry Re: Do all F-150's ride like crap?

Originally posted by TheBigBad
I bought my 1998 Flareside Supercab 4 x 4 Lariat a little over a year ago and it rides like I am constantly driving on a gravel road. It doesn't matter how good the road is; I feel it in the steering wheel, and the mirrors shake, not to mention my cell phone cradle looks like it is about to spin into orbit. I had new good year AT/S wranglers mounted balanced and aligned last June. At the same time I had new monroe heavy duty shocks done all the way around. Now my front tires are cupping, which were rotated to the rear of the truck. I love everything about my truck except the fact it rides like hell. My Tacoma extra cab 4 x 4 rode better...Any thoughts from the experts? I have had all the tire and suspension work done by Kaufman Tire and I have a warranty on the tires.
The suspension of your truck probably goes through a pounding if you are constantly off-roading. Check your entire suspension if possible. Do you feel that your truck is rattling on one side or is it felt all around the truck?

Anti-Honda

Old 07-31-2002, 10:55 PM
Actually, I was going to answer the thread topic question with a "yes", stock F-150s ride like crap! In fact, I think all stock trucks ride and steer like crap.....if they are unloaded. ha!

Driving a stock truck, unloaded, in crosswinds and or "curvy" highways reminds me of driving a boat on the lake.

But, put some bigger swaybars on it, stiffer shocks, lower it, put a higher psi/shorter sidewall/wider tire on a truck and they steer and handle great or you can do to them what they were designed for.......load the bed! ha!

Old 08-01-2002, 11:13 AM
kev
I have a 3" lift with 35" mud terrain tires on and I still have a smooth ride without any of the things you mentioned.

kev

Old 08-01-2002, 01:40 PM
One thing I found with my truck (97 f150 xlt 2wd RC) is that the tire pressure can make a big difference. I had the tires inflated to the recommended pressures (32 rear, 29 front), and I seemed to feel every little road imperfection, and some bumps were resonating through the whole cab. I inflated both front and rear to 33 PSI, and it seemed to make a difference, especially with the larger bumps, which seem much more firmly damped now, and do not resonate through the cab... Just a thought....

Old 08-01-2002, 03:33 PM
Okay,

I was not slamming our trucks. I should have qualified my response.

I base my judgement of how any vehicle drives, steers, handles, etc. by comparision of my current and previous cars, the Pontiac Firebird. I am on my fourth. Some of the years of the Firebird came with 12 to 1 constant rate steering boxes (very "tight steering"), our F-150s including the Lightning only has 14 to 1 steering. As well as Firebirds are low to the ground, aerodynamic, etc., etc.

I know, I know, I am comparing "apples to oranges".

But that is my "guage" and I have drastically improved the steering and handling of my 99 F-150 (bigger swaybars, lowering kit, stiffer shocks, and hard bedcover. Will get wider, short sidewall tires to increase steering sensitivity and reduce sidewall flex in cornering and crosswinds, soon. As well as the new Dodge Ram with the Viper engine is suppose to have a 12 to 1 constant ratio steering gear. I intend to get one. Although, the steering geometry for the two trucks may be different.

Old 08-02-2002, 12:30 AM
How a vehicle rides is subjective to the person who is driving it. What one person may describe as "crap" could be a dream ride for another. It seems like you might be expecting a little to much from your truck. It should never ride the same as a Firebird. They are two totally different beasts. I have a 94 Mustang GT convertible that rides rough, is squirley and you feel every bump in the road compared to my Navigator, but I expect it to be that way. I love driving them both for what they are, not for what I want it to be.

It sounds like you have done some good things to help improve your ride, but I think you might be expecting to much out of it. One thing I would definitely check is the wheel balance and the alignment. Those two alone could change things drastically.
Good luck in your search for improving your ride.

Old 08-02-2002, 01:16 AM
You know it gets to a point with me that I think my truck rides and drives like crap and then I'll hop into one of my friends old 78 Ford's and when I hop back into mine it is like driving a Lincoln Town Car. Not that their trucks do not steer right or ride right or anything is broken it's just how the truck was setup and that is to be a truck and haul things. In my girlfriends Beetle you can feel every little bump but that's due to the sporty suspension.
If you don't like how it rides you will have to change and look over a few things. First what ply tire is on there, anything abouve a 4 ply will give a stiffer ride. Also, what air pressure do you run? If the ride is that rough get rid of those Monroe heavy duties and go back to regular shocks or get and adjustable set. Sway bars will help with handling but not sure if they would help the ride any, same goes with lowing and lift kits. Each truck is a little different on how it handles and rides.

Quick Reply: Do all F-150's ride like crap?