Front End Complete Rebuild on 1998 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:04 PM
JHL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front End Complete Rebuild on 1998 4x4

For my trucks (1998 4x4) 20th birthday, I'm getting the entire suspension and steering re-freshed. I've been assembling the parts since early summer and just pulled the trigger on some more parts.

So far I have the following parts:
  • New CV Axles
  • Upper A arms
  • Lower ball joints
  • Urethane A arm bushing set
  • Pittman and Idler arms
  • Inner and outer tie rod ends
  • New camber bolts
  • New front shocks
  • New calipers, rotors, and pads
  • New stainless steel brake hose set
I was thinking new front wheel bearings too... BUT it seems that I have to buy new hubs to get the new front wheel bearings? My 98 has front disc and rear drums (ABS on rear only). Any advice there?

Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I should replace while its all apart?

Thanks ahead of time, and cheers!

Old 11-29-2018, 09:05 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Bearing hubs are about it. I can't think of anything else. rockauto is a good source.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:29 PM
JHL
Question

Originally Posted by Roadie
Bearing hubs are about it. I can't think of anything else. rockauto is a good source.
Have you replaced yours?
I'm curious if I need new hub\bearing assembly, or just new bearings...Being in SoCal, rust isnt an issue --- OR -- can these bearings not be replaced?

Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 PM
Yes, I had to replace both front bearing hubs around 130k. The driver's side started making noise first and the passenger side got noisy about 10K miles later. I replaced the tie rod ends, lower ball joints, brake hoses, calipers, and idler arm about the same time. I had to use the dealer to replace the first hub because I was working away from home and didn't have the time to do it myself. The second hub I bought from rockauto. I thought the same driver's side hub had failed because it was making more noise when turning right the same as before so I replaced it again. Didn't fix it. I suppose it depends on whether the inside or outside beaing in the hub was bad. So, I bought another hub from autozone. I finally realized the passenger side had failed and replaced it with the Ford unit taken off the driver's side. So, now I have an autozone hub in the garage I don't need.

Last edited by Roadie; 11-29-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:38 PM
JHL
Question

Originally Posted by Roadie
Yes, I had to replace both front bearing hubs around 130k. The driver's side started making noise first and the passenger side got noisy about 10K miles later. I replaced the tie rod ends, lower ball joints, brake hoses, calipers, and idler arm about the same time. I had to use the dealer to replace the first hub because I was working away from home and didn't have the time to do it myself. The second hub I bought from rockauto. I thought the same driver's side hub had failed because it was making more noise when turning right the same as before so I replaced it again. Didn't fix it. I suppose it depends on whether the inside or outside beaing in the hub was bad. So, I bought another hub from autozone. I finally realized the passenger side had failed and replaced it with the Ford unit taken off the driver's side. So, now I have an autozone hub in the garage I don't need.

SO... the bearing cannot be pressed out and replaced, I must buy new hubs w/bearings as well?

Old 11-29-2018, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by JHL
SO... the bearing cannot be pressed out and replaced, I must buy new hubs w/bearings as well?
Yep!

Old 11-29-2018, 07:04 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I think I'd leave them alone unless they are loose or making noise. The spindle nut needs to be torqued to 221 ft/lb. If you do want to do it, Rock Auto has some cheapies in addition to standard replacements.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+assembly,1636

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...indle+nut,1616

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+retainer,1620

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...le+washer,1624

Quick Reply: Front End Complete Rebuild on 1998 4x4