Front end following gaps in pavement, and other problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Front end following gaps in pavement, and other problems.

1998 F150 2wd 4.6 liter.

So far all of these parts are new Moog parts within the last few months....

All four A-arms
Idler arm
Pitman arm
Shocks (Rancho RS5000)
All four tie rods
It also has a Rancho steering stabilizer installed, with a new shock absorber installed a month or two ago.
Maybe others I may have forgotten.....

Anyway. It STILL feels like it's falling apart. Rattling, jerking side to side on bumps, following gaps in the pavement. On the highway, nothing. Drives fine, no wandering to speak of. The last piece of the puzzle is the steering box. I got someone to get in the truck while I laid under the front. When the wheel is seesawed back and forth, theres a clunk/pop that can be felt in the pitman arm, center link, and left tie rod. When you're driving on smooth pavement, the steering feels tight and normal. No slop in the steering wheel at all.

Has ANYone dealt with this yet. It's driving me nuts to have all of these new parts, yet it still drives like a never maintained piece of junk.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 PM
And edit the sig to say over 220k

Old 06-14-2018, 09:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
My '07 (w/300+k miles) Jeep feels like this to when I replaced the whole front end, even with a new subframe.

The alignment is never out either, steering is tight. On the highway it drives like a charm, rough roads, it takes the steering wheel and will pull the vehicle. My '00 Dakota, and my '07 F150 doesn't do this.

Everyone says it's the nature of my vehicle.

The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the steering box.

So far I've just been living with it.

Wish I could help, but I'm kind of living with the same feeling.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:59 PM
Yeah I definitely feel your pain. I started this months ago, with lower A arms that actually were junk and coming apart on me. It only drove smoothly a week or so, and seems to be as bad as ever now. I am buying a steering box tomorrow evening, and hopefully the tropical wave or whatever we're supposed to have this weekend, passes us by. If that fails to fix the issue, then I will try the steering shaft U joint. It seems to be about the same price.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:16 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
When you say you feel clunk in the steering components are you saying there is play in those components? if so, they need replacement again.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:43 PM
It's more of a clunk, that you can feel in the parts. Not in the steering wheel itself. The person sitting in the truck got bored after 30 seconds or so. and they stopped. It seemed to be strongest nearer the box though. The steering parts are the newest of all of the partas. Less than tywo months old. I seriously doubt they need replacing. The box however has 220k or so on it, and is 20 years old this year.

Quick Reply: Front end following gaps in pavement, and other problems.