F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.f150online.com/forums/suspension-28/)
-   -   Stupid Sway Bar Link Ends!!! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/suspension/516969-stupid-sway-bar-link-ends.html)

ZEEKA 01-29-2018 03:02 PM

Stupid Sway Bar Link Ends!!!

For the record, I have an 07 XLT 4x4 I've owned since new, only has about 55k miles on it. Long story short, this past summer I started having a ball joint or two and wheel bearing issues. I decided to rebuild the entire front end except for brakes, rotors, shocks and struts which were replaced the summer before. I replaced with all MOOG parts, except for the wheel bearing which was a Timken and it was only on the the drivers side. Passenger side and inner tie rods are the only things on the front end that are OEM still.

After installation, got an alignment, and everything has been swell until a few weeks ago. Started feeling a clunk underneath the front end, sounds more like towards drivers side. Might just be cause I'm sitting there. Doesn't make any noise driving down the street or on any bumpy roads. It only happens at low speed with the wheel turned. For instance, when I get to the end of my driveway, I come to a complete stop to check for oncoming traffic. Turn the wheel in the direction I'm heading while I'm waiting, then step on the gas, and I hear "clunk" and it feels like the truck shutters to the side. Like the wheel slid across a big rock or branch or something. But then driving it starts to pull slightly to the left, sometimes more than slightly.

Checked everything underneath, everything seems tight. Tire air pressure is good. Because of the clunk I automatically thought sway bar end links. Now I'm not gonna lie to you, taking the old ones out was a bitch and if I had any installation issues with anything it was with these. Is this the best design they can come up with?!?!

The bushings seem to be tight, squeezing the end of the sway bar. I tried to tighten them down even more and the nuts on either end of the stem just spin, even though I have a wrench on the stem holding it, WTF? Am I doing something wrong? Am I right to guess the end links are the cause of the clunk and the pull to the left?

Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to make sure you have all the info. And this point I'm just pissed and drunk...

Roadie 01-29-2018 05:56 PM

Check the torque on the lug nuts for a start.

ZEEKA 01-29-2018 06:59 PM

Just did that when I was checking tire pressures, 150 all around sir

glc 01-29-2018 08:30 PM

Sway bar links can't cause pulling. Take it back to the alignment shop and get it gone over carefully, something else has happened.

ManualF150 01-29-2018 08:33 PM

They shouldn't spin.

I would take them out, and replace them.

There is something defective with them and I would try to see if you can't get them replaced for free.

ZEEKA 01-29-2018 09:58 PM

Yeah I have a new pair on order. You think that’s what’s causing the clunk and side shimmie upon acceleration?

Roadie 01-30-2018 12:00 AM

Sway bar end links will not cause a shimmy.

ZEEKA 02-12-2018 08:36 PM

****UPDATE****

Replaced sway bar links, installed MOOG again, however, these seemed slightly different then the old ones. But I took the old ones off and threw them away a couple of days before I got the new pair, so I couldn’t really compare side by side. The new ones come with the zerk fittings installed already. Went in with no problems. Still got the clunk and the pull to the right. But at least I got new links!

Replaced the lower steering shaft assembly even though it wasn’t binding, but it was pretty rusty, cruddy, and had just a tad of play in it. Made no difference.

Did some research about clunking and banging on F150’s, general consensus was drive shaft slip yoke. Dropped the shaft, lubed it up, made no difference!

Gave up, dropped it off at shop. Drum roll please............ loose drivers side lower control arm bolt. Aaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!

Talked to alignment guy, told him I haven’t touched the control arm since before he did last alignment six months ago. Kind of put on him that maybe he didn’t tighten down everything to spec and that’s why it probably came loose. Although I couldn’t prove it, stuff happens, he agreed to split the cost of the alignment with me. Better than nothing, I’m just glad that’s over.

Patman 02-13-2018 12:58 PM

Glad you got it fixed and you're safely traveling again