Would a rusty cruddy steering shaft cause a pull?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a rusty cruddy steering shaft cause a pull?

So my truck has a slight pull to the left when I drive straight and when I make a sharp turn at low speed with the wheel cranked all the way to either side it feels like the front end wobbles side to side for a second.

Its a 2007 and I know Ford had issues with the steering shafts binding from rust and corrosion. I started having the steering get a little tight on me about a year ago and I just keep spraying a half a can of WD40 on the lower steering shaft assembly at time to keep it moving freely and haven't had any issues since with it binding or tightening up. However, since the entire front end is brand new with an alignment since this summer, I'm starting to think the u-joints on it might be the culprit. Besides the steering shaft binding are there any other symptoms that this rusty New England corroded piece of metal could cause?

Old 02-10-2018, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After changing out the steering shaft assembly myself, I answered my own question. The short is answer is that bad steering shaft symptoms only cause binding and not sloppy steering. The new one didn't make much difference, however, the old one had a little play in the u-joints and I'm glad I replaced it anyways. Now I'm starting to think the steering rack might be the cause of the pull and clunk. Hopefully something just needs to be tightened and it needs an alignment, going into the shop next week. We'll find out.

Quick Reply: Would a rusty cruddy steering shaft cause a pull?