Options for lowering rear of '02 Expy

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Options for lowering rear of '02 Expy

Hi all:

I put Belltech 2" drop spindles on my Expedition a while ago, and adjusted the rear air suspension to match. I put new air springs in, and cleaned the solenoid valves, because one side had developed a leak. Well, now the leak is back. I went to order a new pair of valves, and found out they're on indefinite backorder.

I'm looking at other options for the valves (used), because I'd really like to keep the air suspension if I can. But, if parts are getting scarce, I'm thinking maybe I should just switch over to coils. Has anyone tried the Belltech 5307 springs? I don't have a problem with pulling used ones from the junkyard and cutting. But I'd like to know if anyone has tried this can share their experience. I'm concerned it will ride poorly.

I guess going back to stock is an option.

Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.
John.

Last edited by the_tool_man; 08-13-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update (in case anyone ever wants to know my resolution):

The dealer still stocks the valves....for $200 each! So I went to a couple of u-pull-it yards and got eight valves out of junk Expys for around $4 each. I used a 12V power supply and compressed air to bench test them, and found that five were good. Swapped one in last night, and now all is well.

Just for fun, I bench tested the one I removed, and it failed to operate.

Quick Reply: Options for lowering rear of '02 Expy