Steering wheel slightly crooked after alignment..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replaced a lot of my suspension including tie rods. When I replaced those, I measured and also counted how many turns so I could get them pretty close.

Had to go to Monroe for an alignment. Being that it's a Saturday, the better places weren't open.

Anyway, the steering wheel was slightly to the left, took it back, they rechecked and it's still a little to the left. Barely off, but it bothers me.

I used all Moog problem solver parts. They told me that because I used aftermarket, they probably can't get the steering wheel to line up perfectly. I don't buy that.

Any experts have any insight? Thanks!

Old 08-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Replaced a lot of my suspension including tie rods. When I replaced those, I measured and also counted how many turns so I could get them pretty close.

Had to go to Monroe for an alignment. Being that it's a Saturday, the better places weren't open.

Anyway, the steering wheel was slightly to the left, took it back, they rechecked and it's still a little to the left. Barely off, but it bothers me.

I used all Moog problem solver parts. They told me that because I used aftermarket, they probably can't get the steering wheel to line up perfectly. I don't buy that.

Any experts have any insight? Thanks!
Sounds like they're being lazy, as long as all the steering components and the linkage are tight they can get it straight, they just need to take the time to loosen the tie rod ends up and work at it. I'd try going to a different shop.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
X2! As far as I know, the steering wheel should be at the "neutral" (straight-ahead) position after a correct alignment. If it is not, there are adjustments that will get it there.

- Jack

Old 08-08-2015, 07:39 PM

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. As far as going to another shop, if like to, but I paid them $80. That's the going rate around here. I'd rather have them do it right, but I'm just not even sure if they know how to do it right.

I just don't want to waste $80 if I don't have to.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

If they can't get the steering wheel centered, I would be concerned that they wouldn't do a proper alignment either.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bluejay
If they can't get the steering wheel centered, I would be concerned that they wouldn't do a proper alignment either.
I agree. I'm going to speak with them Monday. If they can't do the job right, I'm going to ask for a refund or for them to pay for a different shop to do the work.

They didn't even give a printout of any alignment specs. I did see my truck on the rack for a while, though.

I also just don't even want the same tech driving my truck into their bay. He can't drive a standard transmission and I was cringing listening to him try to get my truck to move.

Either way, I'm not happy. There is no way brand new Moog problem solver outter tie rods are going to make it impossible for my steering wheel to be perfectly centered.

I think they're lazy and/or don't know what they're doing. This is why I never ever going to places like this. Being it was a Saturday, I just didn't have any options.

I'll post the outcome. This will get solved.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Best of luck. Sounds like a line of BS to me. I have never had an issue with MOOG suspension parts.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by CJB XLT
Best of luck. Sounds like a line of BS to me. I have never had an issue with MOOG suspension parts.
Indeed. I feel the same. I just don't think they know what they're doing.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Boy on boy this sounds like what I went through. I would wager that very few have ever endured what I did from 2012 to 2013. I had 10 yes 10 alignments done because people could not tighten the Lower control arm bolts on my truck. The truck kept coming out of alignment and I am suspicious that is why my shocks are ruined. They were squeaking at one point because the lca was twisted all the way in opposite directions in the alignment holes. I tried NTB, a well regarded speed shop and finally a local guy got it. Now I just go to Ford. The incompetence is scary and as a result I do every thing I can to avoid having someone work on my stuff. That's just lazy man, good luck

Old 08-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Its not a huge setup to fix. But you need another printout. It is possible to recenter the wheel off of the alignment rack, but it won't be nearly as precise as redoing the alignment procedure.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
They are supposed to center the steering wheel and then adjust the alignment. The last alignment I had done was on my 05 Dodge Magnum after buying a set of tire. The shop had a laser alignment system that was impressive. They did a 4 wheel alignment since it has independent rear suspension. I got a printout that showed precisely what the alignment was set to. As I remember, it was Merchants Tire close to Richmond, VA.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
They are supposed to center the steering wheel and then adjust the alignment. The last alignment I had done was on my 05 Dodge Magnum after buying a set of tire. The shop had a laser alignment system that was impressive. They did a 4 wheel alignment since it has independent rear suspension. I got a printout that showed precisely what the alignment was set to. As I remember, it was Merchants Tire close to Richmond, VA.
That's about the only place I'll take vehicles to get aligned at. But I also live about 15 minutes away from it haha, that's a bit of drive for you to just get an alignment.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
That's about the only place I'll take vehicles to get aligned at. But I also live about 15 minutes away from it haha, that's a bit of drive for you to just get an alignment.
Yeah, I was working a temporary contract job at the North Anna Nuclear Power Plant at the time, norhtwest of Richmond. It lasted about 6 months and I was off to the Turkey Point Nuclear Power Plant south of Miami, FL for 3 1/2yrs. I've put about 36,000 miles on my car since then with no alignment. I do get my tires balanced occasionally.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had my old Toyota done at mechs while I was picking up the 01'& to check it out.
Kid had all the right stuff and it was 15deg off camber,did the whole thing with computer,got a print out....but steering wheel is not perfectly centered anymore.
Means he didn't recheck exact center of steering wheel after getting it into position on the rack to align.
Or that's what I have concluded. It's just a bit off,but I notice it.

Like the new F150 sort of slowly wanders to the right when on flat level ground after a ways,no wind,I noticed and will mention it if and when I get it realigned. The wheel is slightly off center.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:46 PM

They aligned it again. Steering wheel seems straight now. Here's the print out. Seem normal?

Steering wheel slightly crooked after alignment..-8s3dvzi.jpg

Quick Reply: Steering wheel slightly crooked after alignment..