Fox 2.5 bump stops and fabed prerunner guard

Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox 2.5 bump stops and fabed prerunner guard

OK guys so my custom fabricated prerunner guard has been on for about 2 months and is having some more Fab work done so it should be back from powder coating tomorrow and on the truck again. And here are some pics of my girl. My Fox 2.5 bumps stops just came in along with the bump cans. And Jeff decided to do some Fab work on them to so they will be on tomorrow and I'll get some pics then. I'm also waiting on limiting straps and they should be on in a couple of weeks. I'm Also upgrading my brakes to vented, slotted and drilled rotors and also high friction brake pads to. So stay tuned for more to come.
Also go follow my instagram @OG_PATRICK and on Facebook @Patrick Despain

Last edited by patrick141; 11-06-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 PM

That prerunner bar and skid plate look good! Along with the rest of the truck of course

Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Glad your finally getting it all finished up! Gotta ask though, the front bumper he built looks great, but why does it look like it sticks 3 inches or so out from the factory one opposed to keeping it tucked in closer?

Old 11-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
Glad your finally getting it all finished up! Gotta ask though, the front bumper he built looks great, but why does it look like it sticks 3 inches or so out from the factory one opposed to keeping it tucked in closer?
Well if you look at the skid plate, it's actually angled, so to get that angle I wanted he had to push it out to clear the bottom so it cleared everything... is that what you mean?

And my bumpstops are on so I'll upload some pics in just a minute

Old 11-08-2013, 06:29 PM
OK so Jeff has set the bumpstops up according to Fox suggestion, so there is exactly 1.25" of suspension travel before the bump stops engage. But they are on and look great, now I just have to test them out.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but it looks like it could've been brought back a few inches and still had the same angle on the skid plate.

And so what kind of travel numbers do you have now? I'm guessing about 3" up before full bump?

Old 11-08-2013, 11:05 PM

Why are bump stops needed/ what do they do to upward and downward travel exactly?

Old 11-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Why are bump stops needed/ what do they do to upward and downward travel exactly?
They limit up travel so that the suspension doesn't damage itself. Limit straps limit down travel for the same reason.

Just seems like since they're mounted so low you have barely any up travel in the suspension.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:48 AM

They limit up travel so that the suspension doesn't damage itself. Limit straps limit down travel for the same reason.

Just seems like since they're mounted so low you have barely any up travel in the suspension.
Huh, that's what I figured/inferred from your previous comment, but they just look like a smaller normal shock. Thanks for enlightening me.

Interesting though! You must be using your truck if you've got something like that haha.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:49 AM
Talking

Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but it looks like it could've been brought back a few inches and still had the same angle on the skid plate.

And so what kind of travel numbers do you have now? I'm guessing about 3" up before full bump?
well it connects to the frame at the bottom, and we use the tow hook mounts to mount the pre runner guard. It's kind of complicated to explain I'll post some pics of it up close for you

And yes about 3" till full bump, but I don't have any exact numbers for ya. And since they're mounted much closer to the rotation point on the control arm I have quite a bit of travel left

Last edited by patrick141; 11-09-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:58 AM
I will also be installing limiting straps as well but they're probably gonna take 2 weeks to get here but I will keep you guys updated

Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by patrick141
OK so Jeff has set the bumpstops up according to Fox suggestion, so there is exactly 1.25" of suspension travel before the bump stops engage. But they are on and look great, now I just have to test them out.

I don't wanna be the debbie downer here but have you even cycled this to see where you need your bumps at or if you even need them whatsoever? I'm going to say no because you don't know travel numbers. I see in this pic that you have maybe 2 or 3inches of up travel before that shock rod end smokes your body. if you arent fully bumped before this point then your bump stop is pointless and you are just going to have a ****ty ride. if you have a 3" bump you have essentially 3" of bump you need to use before you overbump. just looking at this I know that the bumpstop is just floating there. you have money in parts, do this right. I forget why you went with such a huge rod end, maybe for some type of clearance but that needs to be addressed. if you shorten that rod end, it will lower your spring, lower the end and give the shaft more travel to move. theres a lot that goes into this, and you really have to think about things unless its more for show which in that case disregard what I say.

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
bump stops are needed for precautionary reasons. when you have a (expensive) shock that gets beaten on, you like to try and keep yourself from crashing the rod end into the body of the shock, literally. it happens and it can result in a lot of bad things. you use a bump stop to cycle suspension and place in position about a half inch to even a inch away from the shock rod end being completely compressed. you do this because its 1. cheaper to replace or rebuild a bump stop, 2. to save shocks and prevent damage and drivability and 3. because it gives the driver notification when your full bump. trust me you'll know when they hit and they are at full bump ha. anyway basically its just a good idea, some people dont run them some do. some TT dont even have them but thats also because they have suspension cycled in a way where its almost not needed or their shocks are valved as such. limit straps are the exact opposite, you dont want to pull the rod end out so it smashes into the bottom of the body seeing as a huge heavy tire with a bunch of weight pulling it into itself. that and some people like myself have cvs, and they need to be monitored and have precautionary methods to keep them from exploding. hope that helps

Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 PM

That did help, very thorough! Thank you

Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by fnnrNArnner74

I don't wanna be the debbie downer here but have you even cycled this to see where you need your bumps at or if you even need them whatsoever? I'm going to say no because you don't know travel numbers. I see in this pic that you have maybe 2 or 3inches of up travel before that shock rod end smokes your body. if you arent fully bumped before this point then your bump stop is pointless and you are just going to have a ****ty ride. if you have a 3" bump you have essentially 3" of bump you need to use before you overbump. just looking at this I know that the bumpstop is just floating there. you have money in parts, do this right. I forget why you went with such a huge rod end, maybe for some type of clearance but that needs to be addressed. if you shorten that rod end, it will lower your spring, lower the end and give the shaft more travel to move. theres a lot that goes into this, and you really have to think about things unless its more for show which in that case disregard what I say.

bump stops are needed for precautionary reasons. when you have a (expensive) shock that gets beaten on, you like to try and keep yourself from crashing the rod end into the body of the shock, literally. it happens and it can result in a lot of bad things. you use a bump stop to cycle suspension and place in position about a half inch to even a inch away from the shock rod end being completely compressed. you do this because its 1. cheaper to replace or rebuild a bump stop, 2. to save shocks and prevent damage and drivability and 3. because it gives the driver notification when your full bump. trust me you'll know when they hit and they are at full bump ha. anyway basically its just a good idea, some people dont run them some do. some TT dont even have them but thats also because they have suspension cycled in a way where its almost not needed or their shocks are valved as such. limit straps are the exact opposite, you dont want to pull the rod end out so it smashes into the bottom of the body seeing as a huge heavy tire with a bunch of weight pulling it into itself. that and some people like myself have cvs, and they need to be monitored and have precautionary methods to keep them from exploding. hope that helps
No, I'm glad you are telling me this because I'm no were near as knowledgeable as you are in this. I just try to gane my knowledge threw Jeff and people like you on the forum, so thank you for your input. I do see what your talking about on the travel. Jeff told me that at full up travel the bump stops will be in full bump. Now if this is correct I don't know but I will ask Jeff to get the truck in sometime and get some exact numbers and make sure everything will work properly... because yes, there is a lot of money in this and I want it to be fully functional. Oh and the huge rod is because it won't clear the axle and boot without it. And this is still in the testing phase so we will have to make some adjustments and fix something's because this is one-off.
But I will keep you guys in the loop of what's going on. Thanks

Old 11-10-2013, 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by patrick141

No, I'm glad you are telling me this because I'm no were near as knowledgeable as you are in this. I just try to gane my knowledge threw Jeff and people like you on the forum, so thank you for your input. I do see what your talking about on the travel. Jeff told me that at full up travel the bump stops will be in full bump. Now if this is correct I don't know but I will ask Jeff to get the truck in sometime and get some exact numbers and make sure everything will work properly... because yes, there is a lot of money in this and I want it to be fully functional. Oh and the huge rod is because it won't clear the axle and boot without it. And this is still in the testing phase so we will have to make some adjustments and fix something's because this is one-off.
But I will keep you guys in the loop of what's going on. Thanks
Well idk what kind of fab work he does but he obviously is winging it or else he would see what I saw right off the bat. Its one thing to be able to weld and another to be able to fabricate. My guess is you're going to end up going lt before its all over. But that's going to be your journey. I'm always here to help. The last thing I want anyone to have is a ****ty set up when I could have lent a hand. See if you can get a smaller rod end. Maybe by an inch or two. Also take a pic of what your bumpstop is bumping off of? It looked like a small plate but I couldn't see it very well. Whatever it is needs to be wicked strong. That's a lot of force being applied.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fox 2.5 bump stops and fabed prerunner guard