Belltech 2"drop shackles help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Yep, and if you don't get them tight, you can end up with a lot oh movememt in the hind end. Clunking and damage.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info

Originally Posted by EsJayEs
On the shims, you got it. They're really that simple!

Here's why I recommend buying/borrowing/renting a torque wrench for this. The shackle will bend inwards on the leaf spring bushing. By the time you realize that it was too much tightening, it's too late. You have to pull it back out, straighten, and try again. It's an awkward bolt because it never seems to feel tight, so you instinctively keep tightening. Proper torquing ensures that the shackles will stay straight, are tight enough for safety, and will never cause damage to the bushings (that would ultimately result in a suspension squeak).

I know AutoZone and Advance rent tools for free. You should see if they have a torque wrench. Ounce of prevention, pound of cure. You get the idea...
I will do that. One more thing, do you also torque wrench the U-Bolt nuts after installing the shims? I read somewhere about torque wrenching them at like 80ft/lbs. Is that necessary or just torque wrench the shackle bolts? Thanks!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have to torque the axle U-bolts. They just need to be really tight. But if you have the torque wrench laying beside you, might as well.

I don't have the spec for that. I had the service manual in PDF format once upon a time, then I somehow lost the entire folder.

So, if anybody happens to have a copy, link, etc., I'd be most appreciative for a PM

Quick Reply: Belltech 2"drop shackles help