Strange Sensation when turning

Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Figured I'd update this. Sway bar endlinks and bushings have been changed. Got rid of the tapping under my foot. Still can't find anything wrong, so with me being ****, I'm having the front end redone. I'm at 77k now so I'm going to have steering shaft and new inner and outer tie rods done along with the shocks and GF shackles. The little quirks are driving me nuts. Also replacing all driver side calipers since the passenger side has all been replaced.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If truck is pulling toward the centerline of the highway constantly it is either out of allignment or your front tire has developed a bulge/maybe hit a curb or a pot hole too hard in the past. Rotate the front to the back and see if you have hop. Your noise is probably front axle assembly CV joints.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:27 PM

Tires are new, no curb hitting and it's 2wd

Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 PM

It doesn't pull either, it goes with the crown

Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John, a good way to hear if anything is loose in the steering assembly is too put your key in the ignition, dont start the truck but just unlock lock the steering wheel. Roll the window so you can hear outside with the door closed ( open the chime will be too loud) and rock the steering wheel back and forth. If there is anything loose youll hear clunking or popping noises.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Another thing, take a good look at the front suspension. See if the coil is damaged or worn especially the right side (passenger)

Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Alright, in english your truck is diving to the right. It is either out of alignment, tierods wear or with a strange noise, the wheel bearings are shot. You don't believe they are shot because you can't feel it when you move the wheels, but they are. Common symptom for the 4x2 is a shudder/vibration feeling in the steering when turning. You can spend a lot of money, replace a lot of parts, or you can simply replace the bearings, (if the rotors are worn , both as an assembly and brake pads. Then you get into suspension bushings and allignment.

Last edited by papa tiger; 04-29-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM

I will give that a check Craig, thanks buddy

thanks again papa,

The brakes are new all around so the wheel bearings are new. The issues have been there since before the brakes so I doubt it's those. My Roush 20s and tires are much wider than my factory wheels/tires that I run so the drifting is nearly non existent with the stock set-up. The alignment was checked and altered when I had it in for the tires and Roush wheels last April so it checked out then. I am going to have the shocks and tire rods changed and re aligned soon so hopefully that takes care of it.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
the slight dimming of the lights is just your engine bogging down rpms when you suddenly put the PS load on the engine as well.

following road crown is normal, what other issues are you having?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 PM

I did what Craig said, something is banging. I'll post the video shortly.

There's a grindy feel to the wheel at times when turning. Developed a few months ago.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:07 AM

Found a broken passenger side coil. Suspension getting reworked very soon.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 AM

Update, a few weeks ago got new inner and outers, new coil springs, and new shocks all around. Took care of a lot of the issues. I do still have the steering feel and made a new thread here. Ball joints will be changed next month

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-u-joints.html

Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 AM

Update suspension is all new it's pointing to the rack now. Going to check my service disk to see what rack symptoms are. Everything is new though really nothing else left.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:56 PM

I'm a believer in updating problem threads and I'm doing so today with all my suspension related threads. The past two years have been brutal for me. I've had a lot of parts go bad and been stuck with wandering steering. After new shocks (lowered the truck at that point), swap bar endlinks and bushing, and 3 of the 4 ball joints, the truck still sucked to drive. I love to drive my truck and the constant corrections were making it frustrating and annoying to drive. I was told I was paranoid and pretty much blown off by anyone who would do work on the truck. They thought I was too picky. Luckily there's a good ending here and it shows that I knew what I was talking about.

The problems began in this thread and continued to 2 more ( https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...-advice-2.html & https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-u-joints.html ) as my frustration continued. I even had the rack replaced and it helped some, but it still wandered. I've spend at least 4-5 grand the past two years on this truck suspension/brake wise and it has killed me, but this week it paid off. I finally said I want the last and final factory ball joint out of the truck. It's the upper drivers side and one of my good friends from pre-college school was willing to help. It did the trick and solved every issue I had. I had a loose shock as well that I found (yet another careless error by a shop/friend) and it all made my ride crap. The steering is so damn tight and fluid now I'm in love again. It is so nice to drive and stays in the lane on highway. The camber is pretty off as I have been saying for a year (again was told I'm crazy) and National Tire and Battery confirmed it. My camber kit will be here this week and they adjust the alignment for 6 months/6,000 miles which is great.

A member also mentioned this and I have this symptom occasionally so I will eventually have that replaced, but it isn't much of an issue now. I think it's just slightly worn as the steering is quite tight now.

Originally Posted by KC8FLB
I have a 2004 lariat supercrew. I thought I had a serious problem with my front end. Sometimes when I turned the wheel, I felt "slip" or play with the steering. I considered it a safety issue and took it to the dealership.

They diagnosed a bad steering wheel shaft intermediate shaft under the steering wheel inside the cab, under the dash. I am pretty sure it is the part that has the u-joint in the steering shaft. They replaced it, and my steering felt like brand new. I guess this is pretty common.
I know it's a long winded post but few people understand how long and annoying this experience has been. It goes to show you your better off just working on your own stuff if you can. I've come to the conclusion I know more than I thought I did and now it's a matter of just getting more comfortable doing the work as I seem to do well diagnosing and finding problems. Thanks for all the help in these threads and I sincerely hope my struggle helps someone in the future.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 08-06-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 PM
so all it was was the factory ball joint on the driver side??

i continue to deal with this problem after new Struts, tie rods and ball joints

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange Sensation when turning