King /Fox coilovers vs lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
King /Fox coilovers vs lift

Please forgive me if this has been asked. I did search and came up empty-handed.

I have a 2011 4x4 Screw with EB and 3.55 gears.

I'm debating lifting vs levelling, but if I went the levelling route, do I understand correctly that both the Fox and King coilovers achieve the 2.5" level on the front end? If so, can you share your opinion or experience with one vs the other? I THINK I'll be happy with 2.5" and taller tires, but I'm still undecided (lift vs level). I am aware of the other forms of levelling, but I'm willing to spend the extra money for coilovers.

In either case, I'm also wondering what benefits using Camburg UCA's will afford me. From what I can gather, it seems like the Camburg's allow for different backspacing options with wheels, but since I haven't bought any yet (which I will when I decide on the suspension) I don't know if this is really a benefit. What other benefits should I expect to realize?

I don't really go off-roading per se, except during hunting season and those trails are usually pretty docile. I really like the look of a 12th gen on a 6" lift, but am also a little wary on the impact to drivability and re-sale.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I am not sure how your search could come up empty handed, I have thrown out plenty on these exact subjects!

The price you are going to spend on leveling with fox/king coilovers and then doing them justice by also getting the rear setup from fox/king would easily be 3-4k. I have over 5k in my king shock setup as well as custom camburgs.

If you want to level look at the bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts, or just get a steel spacer from AutoSpring if you don't off road much and just want the looks and larger tires. If you spent a considerable amount of time on dirt roads or light off roading (like hunting, farm land, etc) then the king/fox setup might be worth the coin to you, and the ride will change from the 'plush' stock to a bit firmer 'truck' like ride. While they are a great option over the cheaper leveling kits, there functional use is somewhat limited since it is still a leveling kit application (the loss of droop travel in leveling kit application affects the ride and handling at times).

Since your considering a full lift kit, I'd say go for it. The only 'driveability' change you will notice is parking spots may be a bit tighter and you will sit a little taller in traffic. Other than a few minor changes, you really will maintain a 'stock' like feeling even when lifted. Check out the BDS 6" lift, many have it and really like the quality and ride post-lift. The ultimate setup would be a full suspension lift with the coilovers up front and piggyback's in the rear, this is when you will really see the full benefits of both setups!

As for the camburg UCA's, they are worth there weight in gold. I stand behind them 100% because the steering is improved, the bump-steer is virtually eliminated, the ride has smoothed out considerably over harsh terrain, and they are fully serviceable/rebuildable and very easy to maintain. It really is a feeling you have to experience to fully understand.

since you are already liking the looks of a truck with a 6" lift, just throw out the notion of the leveling kit... once you want a bigger lift, its pretty much a guarantee you would be unhappy with anything less or be left wanting more. I'd go with the 6" lift first and formost, and add a fox or king shock setup as an upgrade.

here is my initial setup on my other truck for some reference:

Last edited by FX4life; 12-28-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Sorry-I copied and pasted the the text from a post I made on another forum. I like the idea of using King or Fox shocks along with the lift. I'm still a little gun-shy about the lift. One kit that I was looking at looked like it required some major cutting/grinding/welding.
Good points about some of the day to day concerns regarding parking clearances etc...

Here's a twist- thinking about taking the family up to Alaska for a month long camping trip in the future and maybe do a little over landing. Given this scenario, does this change the recommendation?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by pck823
Sorry-I copied and pasted the the text from a post I made on another forum. I like the idea of using King or Fox shocks along with the lift. I'm still a little gun-shy about the lift. One kit that I was looking at looked like it required some major cutting/grinding/welding.
Good points about some of the day to day concerns regarding parking clearances etc...

Here's a twist- thinking about taking the family up to Alaska for a month long camping trip in the future and maybe do a little over landing. Given this scenario, does this change the recommendation?
Well, I am not sure what lift you are looking at, but on the majority of lifts the cutting is in regards to a factory frame bracket that gets in the way once the front end is all dropped down. It really is no big deal, and if you wanted to go back to stock it can easily be put back in. Some lifts now don't even require this, just notching here and there to make the necessary clearances. The cutting really is no big deal at all, but I know it concerns a lot of folks.

I'd still say the ultimate setup is the suspension lift with the upgrade to kings/fox shocks all around. Even if you just levelled with the kings/foxes, it sounded like you wanted to run a different rim/tire setup, which would be fine, but would ultimately be best utilized with a suspension lift. The clearance you will gain with the lift will make a difference with the wheel/tire setup.

ultimately both would work fine, a full lift or the level with kings/foxes... It's all preferential and how you want to use the truck. I always put a full lift over a level because it keeps the front suspension geometry in check and allows for the greatest amount of droop and rebound travel when off road and on road. a lot of folks will argue with me, but these two variables can really effect the ride and handling of a truck. I have ridden in a truck that had less than 1" of droop travel, and it was horrendous, luckily we got him fixed up.

I look at it like this, if your going to drop coin on kings, a wheel/tire package and camburgs why not go with a full suspension lift? the only other option would be a long travel suspension which would keep the stance of a leveled truck but outperform everything, think Raptor here. Long travel is a whole other animal though, and a heck of a lot more expense depending on how far you take it.

Look around the forums for a member by the name of Bisonium (sp?) I believe he has a leveling kit from either fox or king. I have only dealt in King/fox in lifted applications and they are second to none in quality, finish and ride; so I'd expect similar from their level kits. See if you can get in contact with him about the level kit option.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my .02 on the age old lift vs. level choice. If you are even thinking at all about possibly doing a full suspension lift, then chances are high that you won't be happy with the height of just a level. I see it happen all the time on here. Guys install a level, then a few months later go to a lift because they weren't happy. This is definitely something to sort out before spending that kind of coin on coilovers like king/fox.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Correct me if im wrong FX4LIFE but if he were to get his truck leveled by kings/fox coilovers and then later on down the road he can lift his truck with a full suspension lift and you can still use those Kings/foxs coilovers bc all you would need to do is just get a bigger shaft extension for the bottom. Ive talked to a couple of people about getting bigger coilovers for our trucks but they all stay the same for the F150s its just the shaft extension just gets longer or shorter depending on the height required. So either way i would just get the coilovers and if you decide later on down the road you want full lift then get it and just get the longer extensions. Kings/foxs are meant to be rebuildable if broken to a certain extent. Thats also another good thing about them as well.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Correct me if im wrong FX4LIFE but if he were to get his truck leveled by kings/fox coilovers and then later on down the road he can lift his truck with a full suspension lift and you can still use those Kings/foxs coilovers bc all you would need to do is just get a bigger shaft extension for the bottom. Ive talked to a couple of people about getting bigger coilovers for our trucks but they all stay the same for the F150s its just the shaft extension just gets longer or shorter depending on the height required. So either way i would just get the coilovers and if you decide later on down the road you want full lift then get it and just get the longer extensions. Kings/foxs are meant to be rebuildable if broken to a certain extent. Thats also another good thing about them as well.

That is correct with 'stock' products, the lower shaft can be replaced for different size lifts such as 6", 8", 12" on the Kings. I can't speak for the fox, camburg, DR or Icon coilovers. Most of them are the same coil length because some of the limiting factors in the steering and suspension system still limit the length of coil that can be used.

I'll do some checking around on the other brands..

If you ordered something custom, such as my setup, the lower shaft is custom machined to a specified length per the application.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by FX4life
That is correct with 'stock' products, the lower shaft can be replaced for different size lifts such as 6", 8", 12" on the Kings. I can't speak for the fox, camburg, DR or Icon coilovers. Most of them are the same coil length because some of the limiting factors in the steering and suspension system still limit the length of coil that can be used.

I'll do some checking around on the other brands..

If you ordered something custom, such as my setup, the lower shaft is custom machined to a specified length per the application.

Yes from the research ive done they are all the same coil length due to the steering and suspsension set ups we have in our trucks. They might vary a little but still are fairly close. Like my skyjacker coils that i had on the old lift of mine were longer than the factory stock coilovers these trucks come with. Thats why i wanted kings a long time ago and should of spent the money on it just because of that reason of being able to rebuild them. Those are cambergs UCA are next on the list besides tires of course haha

Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 AM
That's great info to know (about changing shaft length of C/O). I think the most likely scenario will be for me to accumulate all of the needed parts and install at once (Camburg UCA's, coilovers brand tbd, 6" suspension lift, wheels and tires) and get it all done at once after having everything in hand.

Question - if I opted to skip the coilovers now, what sort of shop time would I be looking at to swap to coilovers later? Only reason I ask is that this is a lot cashola and skipping the coilovers for the time being would make it a little easier. Alternatively, if removing/replacing the coilovers in the future is a big expense that could be avoided at the time the suspension lift is done, I'll just have to bite the bullet.

Lastly - I know we're always talking about Camburg/ICON UCA's, but what about LCA's...any reason to consider upgrading and if so, who makes 'em? Camburg and ICON don't show anything. Camburg makes for other models and I like the fully welded boxed LCA as opposed to the OEM stamping.

Anything else in there that I should be dealing with while the front end is apart?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 AM
I do all my work myself or atleast most of it so i couldnt tell you how must it will cost to install the coilovers later on. It should cost too much i wouldnt say more than 350-400 or soo.

Quick Reply: King /Fox coilovers vs lift