Front shock install help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front shock install help

I recently bought new shocks for my 07 Crewcab FX4 and have some questions about install, as I have never installed front shocks before. The shocks are Rancho RS5000's, and in the box were the parts below: a couple of red bushings, a washer, and what looks like was just a plastic cap that was on the shock during shipping. The Rancho install instructions that came with the shocks were pretty generic so I'm unsure if all of these parts are completely necessary for the install, or if I would just be using parts from the old shock assembly. I've looked up how-to's on the replacement and am pretty confident I can do the work myself since I have a shop to remove the springs off my old shocks, I just want to know which parts I need to use. If anyone could give me some advice, or has some input I'd appreciate it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure your going to want to use the new bushings. The ones on your factory shocks are probably shot!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Those don't quite look like RS5000

http://www.gorancho.com/shock_lookup...odels&x=55&y=8

Different shock all together I'd say.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Old 05-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Maybe they don't come with the sticker already on them? When I got my RCX's they put a decal in the box with them so you could choose to put them on or leave them off.

That and a shock boot looks like is all that it's missing.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:16 AM
same w/the hydroshocks. sticker comes seperate

Old 05-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Buxton91
Maybe they don't come with the sticker already on them? When I got my RCX's they put a decal in the box with them so you could choose to put them on or leave them off.

That and a shock boot looks like is all that it's missing.
I couldn't possibly disagree more. These shocks are totally, absolutely different. Have a little better look at its construction, and compare the pics. Above the welded/non welded construction, and different contours, it is missing the red accordian dust boot. Totally different shock.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Alright I'm pretty clueless when it comes to front suspension so where do the bushings go exactly just on top? The reason I ask is because in some of the other pics of Ranchos I've seen, theres a different top bushing. I'm guessing it'll be pretty self explanatory once I get the old one out, just wanted to make sure I had the right parts before I tore everything apart. They are RS5000's, the body of the shock is stamped with P/N RS5767, for some reason they just don't put the sticker on. Here is a pic of an RS9000 with a different top bushing, which is why I wondered if I had the right ones

Old 05-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
I couldn't possibly disagree more. These shocks are totally, absolutely different. Have a little better look at its construction, and compare the pics. Above the welded/non welded construction, and different contours, it is missing the red accordian dust boot. Totally different shock.
Well of course its going to look different from the stock display pic. They build the shock design different for each vehicle it's made for. As for dust boots, they are completely removable and most of the time you have to pay extra to get them.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by jon0309
Alright I'm pretty clueless when it comes to front suspension so where do the bushings go exactly just on top? The reason I ask is because in some of the other pics of Ranchos I've seen, theres a different top bushing. I'm guessing it'll be pretty self explanatory once I get the old one out, just wanted to make sure I had the right parts before I tore everything apart. They are RS5000's, the body of the shock is stamped with P/N RS5767, for some reason they just don't put the sticker on. Here is a pic of an RS9000 with a different top bushing, which is why I wondered if I had the right ones

Those look like bump stops not bushings. When you take the old shocks out you should see how they go together. As long as you have two bushings two washers and a nut for each shock then you should be good to go.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:55 PM
So I received a replacement shock from Rancho today, because one of the shocks they sent me was previously installed. This shock came with a few less parts in the box though. One shock came with a spacer for the coil spring to sit on and a new bump stop. The other shock came with a spacer for the coil spring to sit on, 2 red bushings, a washer, and no bump stop. Which of these shocks came with the correct parts? I'm a little frustrated at this point, so I guess I'm back to the question of can i use the parts (washers, bushings, etc.) on the stock coilovers on the new shocks? My truck is stock height so I'm assuming it would be ok, as the Rancho should be a direct replacement. Any input?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:06 PM
The one with the bushings is wrong. The shock should have a bushing installed in the lower mount already and the bumpstop definitely goes on top. Sometimes there is a little metal collar that goes over the shaft and you tap into place over the shock tube. Not sure how it is with the 5000s. The picture above looks like mine, the 9000XLs.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Mine is from Amazon and is stamped RS 5774 and didn't come with the bump stop, just the spring seat (?) and a nut. I am just going to take stuff apart and go from there.

Last edited by CDUbInc; 05-12-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:59 AM
I'm sure you could get away with reusing the factory bump-stop. They looked pretty similar to me.

Quick Reply: Front shock install help