OK WTF! Leveling question. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OK WTF! Leveling question. HELP!

Just had a 2" level installed today. After months of debate and research I finally did it. Looks fantastic, .......rides like a covered wagon! The spacers were placed on top of the shock column, there is no compression of the springs so why the hell is my truck bouncing around? Did the shop do something wrong? I thought I was breaking my front axle when I went over a spead bump today. Need some help guys. Is this normal?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 PM
That does not sound right, Mine rides exactly the same

Old 06-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not normal at all, is anything bound up? how much lift did you actually get?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Well mine rides exactly the same. Have you looked to see if everything is tightened up? Has the front end been aligned yet?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was told that full alignment wasnt needed just a toe in adjustment.. any truth to that

Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 PM
I only did 2". I'm trying to stay close to factory so I don't tear it up. No, have not done the alignment yet, I KNOW, I KNOW I'm stupid but I don't think it is the source of this problem. There is no shake, or drift. It's is just that every bump in the road feels like it throws the front end up in the air. My keys shake and my head bounces around.

How can I tell if things are "bound up"? Both springs seem to be fully extended.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 PM
see if you can like stand on the bumper and make the truck bounce or something

Old 06-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jpaye
see if you can like stand on the bumper and make the truck bounce or something
I bounces but it is a much stiffer bounce than it used to be. There is also an interesting sound. The best way I can describe it is like compressing a toilet paper rod and releasing it (but deeper obviously). I sound like two pieces meeting at the end of a spring.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:05 AM
I installed this Ground Force shackle kit (www.summitracing.com/parts/GRF-91200/) it dropped the rear 2" and leveled my Lariat out. I swaped out the shackles only, didn't use the spacer/chim and my ride felt the same if not better, works like a champ.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by midwestoffroad
i was told that full alignment wasnt needed just a toe in adjustment.. any truth to that
NO, everything has to be re aligned. Camber, caster, toe in and out. A full alignment is required. It is best to have the camed adjuster bolts installed. It will save a ton of labor.

Did you have new wheels put on with your level?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Driving to work this morning (bouncing all the way) I had a thought. Maybe the problem is not during the compression of the suspension but the decompression. What I mean is, when the wheels are supposed to come down after clearing a bump. I thought of this because it felt like the truck fell off the little pavement lip at the edge of our neighborhood entrance. It there a suspension component that is not allowing full range of motion somwhere?

I also had the thought that maybe my little XL didn't have sufficient factory parts to handle this install but I know I've read about other people on this site with leveled XL worktrucks and no problems. I don't know.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 AM
A thud going over a bump is most lightly your UCA hitting the coil. This only happens to me when the suspension is at fool drop or accidentally going over crazy bumps way too fast. My guess is that either you are driving like you stole it or something is wrong (probably the first one, lol).

Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 AM
No, not driving crazy. I'm very ginger with it right now cause I don't want to damage anything. These bumps I'm hitting are practically at idle speed.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd say to get it aligned and see how that goes.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by F_ast
NO, everything has to be re aligned. Camber, caster, toe in and out. A full alignment is required. It is best to have the camed adjuster bolts installed. It will save a ton of labor.

Did you have new wheels put on with your level?

When I did mine, the toe just needed to be adjusted, I made a thread back when I did mine, use the search function. Oh yeah, what labor will there be if you don't have the Caster/Camber bolts???? You can't adjust that without them.....meaning if you are just putting a spacer in, you will just need your toe re-aligned. They will measure everything else while they are there anyways.

To me it sounds like your shocks are shot, if it is just bouncing up with no absorption, then your shocks are not doing their job.

Quick Reply: OK WTF! Leveling question. HELP!