Tightening Torsion bars..how much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tightening Torsion bars..how much is too much?

i didnt tighten 'em all the way down, i'd say theres a about a quarter inch to half inch before the top of the bolt bottoms out. I'm getting new tires tomorrow though, and i'm getting an allignment too but i just wanna make sure i didn't tighten them TOO much that the allignment couldn't correct it. I'd say they're all together tightened about 3 and a half turns, maybe 4. I'd tryed to see if the tires were bowing in but couldn't tell. i know this question has probably been covered before but i guess i'm just anxious before i get these tires on, wanna make sure everythings right

Thanks

Cody

Old 08-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Please post how it rode before and after cranking up the torsion bars.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 PM
I have had mine all the way cranked up for the last 4 years with no problems. The ride is a little more harsh but not bad, and hey, it is a truck after all.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Ive had mine tightened all the way for awhile and i romp on my truck pretty hard offroad and nothing has broke (suspension) yet... knock on wood.

the ride will get stiffer the more you crank them. Its really not that bad though.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alignment can be achieved within specs, even with the bars cranked all the way. i have run mine fully cranked for nearly 2 years, and have not had my front suspension fall apart or anything. do keep in mind that if you crank them all the way, one side will be higher than the other, and the front will sit higher than the back, ie "bulldog" stance.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:29 PM
yeah, i kinda just want to get it level more than anything. i'd rather not run them full crank just incase the allignment doesn't fix it 100% and i don't get any cupping or anything. I don't mind the ride much, i had them cranked some but this week at school i had started to notice it wasn't sitting quite level so tightened 'em two more full cranks today. the more i go out and look at my tires though it sorta looks like they might be toed in at the top, this is from cranking 'em right? and it'll be fixed after the allignment?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 PM
as long as you use the stock keys then an alignment will fix the camber/caster perfectly. Even if they are cranked all the way.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 PM
yeah, the alignment will get it back into spec, just find a reputable place that knows what the hell they are doing. like you observed, it will take a ride or so for the suspension to adapt to the adjusted bars. get it the way you want before getting your truck aligned.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:49 PM
10-4 thanks guys. i'll just take a look at it tomorrow before i leave and make sure i like the stance. oh and, trimble and/or minimonster, did you guys have any more play in your steering wheel after you put your body lift on? I can't remember if or how much i had before the lift, but there is a little now. You guys think i should just take the steering extension back off and retighten?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 PM
i hope you didn't let the wheel move while the shaft was unbolted... if not, then, yes, go back and retighten the shaft/extension. on my truck, the shaft was pretty tight, and on trimble's, it was TIGHT. get the shaft/extension as tight as you can. it was the only thing the kit instructions listed a spec for. if you have to, use a cheater pipe. i know how tight it is in there, trust me...

Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 PM
forgot to mention, if the shaft/extension pieces are snug against one another, it is not necessary to unbolt/ and reattach. just tighten them down as tight as you reasonably can.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 PM
i didn't let it move, but i had to push the shaft down towards the firewall a little, but after i pulled the shaft up as snug as it would go with the extension. I guess i'll just check and see if it just loose, if not i'll just take it apart again. I can do this after my allignment right and it won't effect anything?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 PM
any before n after pics?

Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 PM
no, dropping the steering shaft/extension won't throw the alignment off. just don't let the wheel turn independent of the power steering gearbox. strap it down, if necessary w/ the seatbelt first. if you didn't let it move independent of the gearbox, you are fine. just tighten both bolts on the shaft/extension real good, w/o snapping them. see if tightening the bolts helps before taking that sh*t apart, its a PITA to put together in such a tight space, and i'm only like 130 lbs, lol.

you would probably find you will have an easier time tightening if you have a second person hold the shaft/extension steady while you tighten it so that the force you apply torques it down. i didn't use a torque wrench or anything, just got them as tight as i could w/ a 1/4'' ratchet and allen key. also, i had to shove the shaft back into the firewall as well, don't worry, that is a necessary step to get the extension on. I still feel a little vibration i didn't feel before the lift on a very hard bump, but then again it is just an extension, and not a whole new unit. also, you extended the gas lines, and relocated the ground and the safety straps on the frame rails, right?

Last edited by minimonster17; 08-30-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 PM
yeah, gas lines were a little trickier than i thought at first but we eventually got it. I got the allignment and new tires today, but it almost seems like the truck might pull to the left a little even after the allignment. It only does it sometimes though so i can't exactly tell, especially since i drive with my left hand mostly so i might be pullin a little on the steering wheel. I'm gonna fix the steering extension and drive on it a little longer and decide whether to take it back though i guess. The thought of it not being alligned perfect and uneven wearing scares me a bit with new tires though

Quick Reply: Tightening Torsion bars..how much is too much?