Body vs. Suspension lift...why body?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Body vs. Suspension lift...why body?

Sorry if this is a dumb question guys

I am about to start a project on an 06 or 07 FX4 SCREW and plan on doing a 6" suspension lift and running 35x12.5 x 20" tires among other things. The question is... since I have been looking around here I see A LOT of body lifts. Why would one want a body lift over a suspension lift (my only thought is cost?) or why would someone do a combo of body and suspension? Dont flame me too hard...just want to be educated so I can make sound decisions on this truck. I will utilize this as a daily driver for a while and money isnt a huge issue with it, I plan on doing it right. Any suggestions would be great!

Lastly...will I have to change gears or extend drivetrain with a 6" lift and running 35's? And will the 5.4 V8 pull me down the road pretty well tuned and with CAI?

Thanks,
Jake

Old 07-31-2008, 01:47 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by jdhart73

I am about to start a project on an 06 or 07 FX4 SCREW and plan on doing a 6" suspension lift and running 35x12.5 x 20" tires among other things. The question is... since I have been looking around here I see A LOT of body lifts. Why would one want a body lift over a suspension lift (my only thought is cost?) or why would someone do a combo of body and suspension? Dont flame me too hard...just want to be educated so I can make sound decisions on this truck. I will utilize this as a daily driver for a while and money isnt a huge issue with it, I plan on doing it right. Any suggestions would be great!

Lastly...will I have to change gears or extend drivetrain with a 6" lift and running 35's? And will the 5.4 V8 pull me down the road pretty well tuned and with CAI?

Thanks,
Jake
mostly people go with a body lift because it is cheaper and they just want the truck for road and the looks. if you are planning on any kind of off road i would say no body lift. if you say money is not a big issue, then i would say go with a 6" suspension. because further down you have an option to go higher with your lift with less issues. if you ask me i say stay away from body lifts. thats my opinion though. as for gears i have heard you would be ok. a little bit slower but no transmission problems. don't know about extending your drivetrain. don't think you have to though.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:54 AM
a suspension lift allows you to clear larger tires AND get the frame up higher. a body lift only allows larger tires, it depends on what your using the truck for and what your budget is. a combo of both allows BMF tires

Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by jdhart73

Thanks,
Jake
Ok first things first. Nothing wrong with body lifts. I offroad mine very hard. actually ive offroaded both body lifts ive had very hard. On my ranger the Rancho suspension lift broke not the body lift.

Anyway us 97-03 F150 guys are very limited with quality lifts (besides doing a solid axle swap) theres only one way to get up there and thats suspension+body lifts.

Now with you having more options in the range of Rize 8" and 12" id deffinitely go with one of those over a combo lift.

If you dont plan on doing the install then get a suspension lift they are actually cheaper to install, (if you can even find someone to install a body lift on a 04+)

Second most kits come with everything you need, if not then it will be specifically stated in the directions. Some lifts need extended drive shafts some dont. Some kits only come with the front lift some come complete.

Third with the 5.4 you wont "have to" regear but you might want to. If you plan on going to any tires larger than 35 then you will want to regear to 4.56 or 4.88. This will save your transmission and provide more power to the rear tires. (and a few more mpg over the stock gears and big tires)

The gears will also give you a better acceleration but will put you at a higher RMP at highway speeds (thus possibly loosing .5-1.5 mpg) but thats worth it to not kill the trans.

sorry for the long post just had to set some stuff straight!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:02 AM
if money is no issue, then go with all suspension. 6, 8, or 12" lift. i have the 8" with a 3" body lift, so i could clear my 38x15.50's without rubbing. couldnt do it without the body lift..

Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 AM
I opted for a body lift for these reasons over a suspension lift (in no particular order):

1. It was cheaper
2. I wanted to run at most a 35" tire, so I could keep a 35" tire under the bed as a spare as opposed to keeping a larger tire like a 37 if I had a 6" suspension lift in the bed and defeating the purpose of having a truck.
3. My wife is only 5'2" and was really intimidated when she use to drive my old Dodge Ram with a 6" suspension +3" body lift and 37s. Let alone trying to get into it.
4. If they are installed correctly and you use gap guards, nerf bars and relocate your trailer light assembly, they can look just as good as suspension lifts. I get asked a lot, "What kind of suspension lift do you have?"
5. Body lifts are fairly easy to install on the 97-03s...
6. I can still clear all parking garages when I go down to the city.

I also off road my truck pretty hard and have had no issues whatsoever with the body lift. For me anyway, all things considered, it was just more practical and cheaper.

Last edited by jk007; 07-31-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
I have both because at the time they didn't make a 10" suspension lift for a 2WD, they still don't, and I want the height. I've had both on for 4 years. Not one problem and I'm running 37" tires.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4.2trimble pretty much nailed it.
The only thing I will add is I would do a re-gear and run 4.56's for 35's and anything bigger I would go with 4.88's. It seems like your truck is underpowered other wise. Plus when you go to get the big heavy tires rolling again your drive train will thank you for doing the extra and getting gears. Not necessary but definitely helps. Here is a link read through and it will help you decide whether or not to re-gear.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...p-rev-1-a.html

Old 07-31-2008, 02:47 PM

cheaper / mainly for looks

3in bds body lift
2.5 level
35x12.5R20 toyo mts
20x9 mm951

Edit:
i still havin trouble posting pics lol check out my thread in the 04 section

Last edited by IDNC76; 07-31-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm on my third truck with a body lift and have never had a problem.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:16 AM
When ay put the body lift on the 97-03 and you have a hitch is there a way to bring the hitch back up to sit under the buper like orginal?

Old 08-02-2008, 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by 91SuperCrew
When ay put the body lift on the 97-03 and you have a hitch is there a way to bring the hitch back up to sit under the buper like orginal?
yes theres ways to do it it takes some playing with.

im leaving mine down just so when i get my 6" i dont have to find a 9" drop hitch i just have to find a 6" drop hitch which is MUCH easier to find.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:24 AM
There is a company that makes receiver hitches for 97-03 trucks with body lifts. However, I don't think mine looks bad. It sits at the base of the bumper now like most trucks you see on the road.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by wandell
There is a company that makes receiver hitches for 97-03 trucks with body lifts. However, I don't think mine looks bad. It sits at the base of the bumper now like most trucks you see on the road.
too early for 04+s ?

Old 08-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I havn't seen a reciever made for the 04-08's yet.

Quick Reply: Body vs. Suspension lift...why body?