Grease ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you cant. there is no way to get grease into the joint. your better off to just replace them. there 8 years old anyways...

Old 03-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Adam06FX4
you cant. there is no way to get grease into the joint. your better off to just replace them. there 8 years old anyways...
The lower joints are 2 months old. I was mixed up in my original post; I've recently replaced the lowers and the uppers are original. The squeak sounds like it's coming from the lowers though.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 AM
do u have a stethoscope? if not a piece of hose held up to your ear should work. just place it on each joint including the tie rods and listen for the noise to try and pinpoint the exact location. otherwise its hard to tell as the sound will just flow through the steering knuckle.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Used a needle adaptor and greased the upper and lowers. Squeak is gone and I'll delay the inevitable. Thanks guys! On a side note, the bushings where the control arms connect to the frame are dry and cracking. Can I replace these without replacing the original control arms and ball joint?

Thanks

Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I greased them with the truck in the air so the ball was all the way exposed so when truck got back on the ground it probably took some of the grease with it. Actually getting under there again today to regrease everything/inspect.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyblaster7
Used a needle adaptor and greased the upper and lowers. Squeak is gone and I'll delay the inevitable. Thanks guys! On a side note, the bushings where the control arms connect to the frame are dry and cracking. Can I replace these without replacing the original control arms and ball joint?

Thanks

When you greased them, did you push the boot while it was filling with grease to compact it in there and all around? Since you joints are newer, I hope you cleaned the boot and sealed the hole you made to insert the needle. I think silicone would work.

Quick Reply: Grease ball joints