How much of a headache is the levelling kit install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much of a headache is the levelling kit install?

I'm a relative novice when it comes to trucks (I've done some minor installs before- changed out the rear blocks, adding a steering stabilizer, changed out a pair of leaf springs, etc.) so I need an honest opinion here on how hard the install is on the levelling kit.

I also am limited in tools...I have your standard set of tools (metric and non) and nothing more.

How hard is the install...honestly?

Old 12-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by BigBadRedLiftedFordMan
I'm a relative novice when it comes to trucks (I've done some minor installs before- changed out the rear blocks, adding a steering stabilizer, changed out a pair of leaf springs, etc.) so I need an honest opinion here on how hard the install is on the levelling kit.

I also am limited in tools...I have your standard set of tools (metric and non) and nothing more.

How hard is the install...honestly?
the install isnt hard at all. an impact would defineatly help the most, but it can be done with hand tools. there is a thread around that gives step by step instructions with pics. do a search!!

Old 12-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Had both sides of mine done in less than 3 hours very easy with the right tools, I did exactly what this said and used these exact same tools

Autospring Install

Old 12-05-2007, 01:10 PM
You can do it... Not hard at all, just take your time and post any questions you have if needed. You will have a answer in less then 5 mins most of the time. A lot of good people on this site that will help you out.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 PM
DRJ
+1 on the impact wrench, trust me!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:40 PM
yea, impact wrench is a must! Otherwise you should be fine, my friend and I did it in about 2 hours, in a partially lit parking garage at night and the first side was much harder than second. Once you get the hang of it, everything flies, i think we had the second side done in less than 30 minutes. Youll be fine, its actually fun, and satisfying when your all done!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
IMPACT WRENCH
PITMAN ARM PULLER

Two things that will make your life so much easier!

Old 12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
IMPACT WRENCH
PITMAN ARM PULLER

Two things that will make your life so much easier!
pitman arm puller? i just used a aluminum tap and a dead weight sledge hammer to pop the balljoint out from the spindle.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I can see how a pitman arm puller would be nice. The first time I put mine on it was easy to pop off the joint, but the second was a beast. Don't smack the upper arm too hard, and definitely dont hit the joint or the bolt.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm still a believer in leaving some of these things to the pros. Do you really want to swing a sledge hammer at your suspension? Assuming you take your time, and get everything done right without breaking something, do you know how to do your own alignment?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 PM
At 43k miles. Mine WOULD NOT come off with a sledge hammer. $20 later and a quick couple of turns and it is off. Save yourself the hassle and possible damage from hitting the thing so much

It really made the job easy so that's why I recommended it. A truck with low miles probably will come apart easier.

Just swing by the alignment shop real quick and get one done in the first 100 miles or so that you do the kit. The sooner the better.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 PM
If I can do it............

I just put the 2.5 AS kit on my 05 Scab. Did it in the driveway with a floor jack one wheel at a time. I did have an air impact tool with my portable compressor. This was more helpful when removing all of those lug nuts than anything else. Had to borrow a 30mm socket from Advance Auto. Followed the instructions that came with the kit. Like other posters have said the first one goes a little slow, but had the second one done from start to finish in about 35 minutes. 2 hours total. You can do it!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
If you get a leveling kit which requires that you to compress the coil spring: then what? You'll need a spring compressor. Ever operate one before? No? Seems simple? Just follow the directions?

You'll shoot your eye out!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I'm still a believer in leaving some of these things to the pros. Do you really want to swing a sledge hammer at your suspension? Assuming you take your time, and get everything done right without breaking something, do you know how to do your own alignment?

Professionals cost just a tidbit more money than swinging that sledge hammer. The Autospring install is about a 2 on a 1-10 scale for difficulty, no more difficult than changing oil, so why waste 70 bucks an hour to have some potential slathera$$ mechanic do it and potentially screw it up worse. At least if your swinging that sledge you know where its goin.

Quick Reply: How much of a headache is the levelling kit install?