help with replacement upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with replacement upper control arms

I'm going with Racho Quicklifts and I'd like to replace my UCAs so I don't have to worry about the nasty angle that the 2.5" of lift will create for my upper ball joints.

Camburg was recommended in another thread, but they won't work on wheels with greater than 5" of backspacing. I'll be running my OEM wheels in the winter, so I need a set of beefy UCAs that will work with 5.5" bs.

Anybody?

Old 11-27-2007, 02:38 PM
total chaos makes some... but im not sure if they are the same way?? where did you hear that you cant run them with your stock wheels i find that hard to believe. even if you cant, just buy a wheel spacer and you would clear them fine.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I know, but it came directly from Drew at Camburg. I would really like to avoid using spacers if possible.

Total Chaos is another option, but I haven't talked to them yet and I know they're big money, so I'd like to see if anyone knows of anything else that might be a little cheaper before I do.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by 051fdrof
Yeah, I know, but it came directly from Drew at Camburg. I would really like to avoid using spacers if possible.

Total Chaos is another option, but I haven't talked to them yet and I know they're big money, so I'd like to see if anyone knows of anything else that might be a little cheaper before I do.
TC may be your only other option, unless you can fabricate your own set of arms.
according to TC's site: 4.5" or less backspacing required on all wheels to avoid contact

Old 11-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by nooq
TC may be your only other option, unless you can fabricate your own set of arms.
according to TC's site: 4.5" or less backspacing required on all wheels to avoid contact
aw... beat me to it. Yup, the MOST backspacing you can have with Camburg's is 5". Total Chaos is 4.5"

I do not know of any UCA's that allow for 5.5" BS. Maybe look into buying some cheap used wheels??? Good luck bud.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Well, maybe I'll have to punt on this one. I haven't seen any posts of ball joints actually failing with a 2.5" lift, but I don't want to be the first one. It would have been worth the $ to have the peace of mind. My truck's a road queen, so it's not like I'm out pounding the heck out of it. Wear and tear is fine. I don't care about having the factory joints replaced, I just don't want the spindle letting go 60 mph with my family in the truck.

Now I'm wondering if 1/2" wheel spacers and Camburg UCAs would be safer than no spacers and factory UCAs with crappy angles...

Last edited by 051fdrof; 11-27-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by 051fdrof
Well, maybe I'll have to punt on this one. I haven't seen any posts of ball joints actually failing with a 2.5" lift, but I don't want to be the first one. It would have been worth the $ to have the peace of mind. My truck's a road queen, so it's not like I'm out pounding the heck out of it. Wear and tear is fine. I don't care about having the factory joints replaced, I just don't want the spindle letting go 60 mph with my family in the truck.

Now I'm wondering if 1/2" wheel spacers and Camburg UCAs would be safer than no spacers and factory UCAs with crappy angles...
I think you will be just fine running the 2.5" kit. As long as you dont pound on it offroad then daily driving will hold up just fine. Your ball joints will just wear faster than usual. I would stay away from wheel spacers. I am not fond of them at all.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:07 PM
That's encouraging, thanks. I really don't want to use spacers... just a little paranoid. I might even dial in 2" instead of 2.5". I'm only trying to clear 33's.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 PM
I would agree very stronly with Nooq. If your truck really is a pavement pounder then you should have no issues. They should just fail on you, what will happen is they will slowly give. Eventually you wont be able to hold an alignment, and then you would be able to just replace em with a factory kit. Wheel spacer's are never a good idea (imo). You should be fine.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
I would agree very stronly with Nooq. If your truck really is a pavement pounder then you should have no issues. They should just fail on you, what will happen is they will slowly give. Eventually you wont be able to hold an alignment, and then you would be able to just replace em with a factory kit. Wheel spacer's are never a good idea (imo). You should be fine.
I think he means SHOULD NOT fail on you

Old 11-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
I think he means SHOULD NOT fail on you
sorry about that... obviously not paying attention :o

but hopefully I still got the jist across... thanks CRF250

Old 11-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I read between the lines.

I just ordered a set of Quicklifts and RS9000XL for the rear. Wheels will wait until after winter.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Quick Reply: help with replacement upper control arms