Rear end looks to be leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear end looks to be leaking

It appears to be leaking around the center plate. How big of a pain is it to drain the fluid in the rear end and change that gasket. It's not a real back leak it's more like a seapage(sp). It doesn't leak so bad that it leave a puddle or drops on the ground just cover the center part of the rear axel. What typ of fluid goes back in and do I do anything besides replace that seal?

Old 11-24-2007, 05:43 PM
It would help to know some additional details about your truck, but I'll make due. Changing the diff fluid is not a fun job in my book. It's not overly difficult, it's just something I don't look forward to with these trucks. You will need to unbolt the cover and be VERY careful when prying it off. It does not use a traditional gasket; it uses the form-a-gasket goo stuff. I actually bent my cover when I took it off. Running a razor blade along the mating surfaces may help when taking it off. Be careful not to gouge the diff housing mating surface though.

I would highly recommend getting an aftermarket Mag-Hytech cover for your truck. It's a little spendy, but well worth the money. IT uses an o-ring to seal the cover instead of the gasket goo. It also has a higher fluid capacity and a drain plug. The next time you have to change diff fluid, you'll thank yourself for buying one.

If you plan on reusing the stock cover, you will need to run a bead of the gasket goo stuff along either the cover mating surface or the diff housing mating surface. Bolt it back up and let it set up for a few hours prior to refilling it with fluid.

As far as fluid goes, if you have a limited slip differential, your truck will take 75w-140 fluid. It will also require a friction modifier. I recommend going with Redline fluid, as it already contains the friction modifier. If you don't have a LS diff, I'm not sure what fluid it takes.

Since it sounds like you're not overly familiar with this process, I would recommend spending $25 and getting a Chiltons or Hayes shop manual from your local auto parts store. It will provide a more detailed process, as well as torque specs and fluid capacities.

-Craig

Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 PM
im goin to be changing mine as well, where can i get redline at? napa or advance auto parts have it?

Old 11-24-2007, 06:56 PM
You will most likely not find Redline at a chain-type auto parts store. You can search Redline's website for the closest retailer, which is how I obtained some. The link will show you the stuff I'm talking about.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...5&categoryID=6

-Craig

Old 11-24-2007, 07:12 PM
x2 on the Mag-Hytec. I put one on my truck and it well worth the cost. Very easy to fill and drain and looks damn cool. Just use Royal Purple synthetic 75-140. Some of the best stuff on the planet and widely available at most chain stores like Autozone, Pepboys, O'Reillys.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:21 PM
does the royal purple have friction modifier in it? do you really need the modifier at all?

Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by 4wd150
does the royal purple have friction modifier in it? do you really need the modifier at all?
Yes, you do need the friction modifier if you have a limited slip differential. I don't know if Royal Purple contains it or not. Check their website; it should tell you.

-Craig

Old 11-24-2007, 09:14 PM
ok thanks man

Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Suspended
Yes it does.

Originally Posted by Impact9
x2 on the Mag-Hytec. I put one on my truck and it well worth the cost. Very easy to fill and drain and looks damn cool. Just use Royal Purple synthetic 75-140. Some of the best stuff on the planet and widely available at most chain stores like Autozone, Pepboys, O'Reillys.
I can't agree anymore. I love my Mag-Hytec differential cover. If need be, I can drain and fill my differential in 5 minutes without even getting my hands dirty. It looks great, too. The Royal Purple is great stuff as well, it's all I run but lets not get into that debate tonight.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Thump,

Sent you a PM.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:54 PM
today all my parts store had was valvoline full synthetic 75w140
bought 3 quarts.http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=58
thats the stuff, it says contains additives but i am not sure. what are your opinions on this stuff
thanks

Old 11-25-2007, 11:45 PM
today all my parts store had was valvoline full synthetic 75w140
bought 3 quarts.http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=58
thats the stuff, it says contains additives but i am not sure. what are your opinions on this stuff
thanks
The Valvoline synthetic is decent stuff; I have it in my front diff. I didn't think it had a friction modifier, but after looking at the link you posted, it may. I'm really not sure. Can anyone else advise?

-Craig

Last edited by theantiriced; 11-25-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:35 PM
yea i need to know because i dont want to add friction modifier if that oil already has it ya know

Old 11-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Just tell your wife (if you're married) that you need to fix the problem which requires new parts. Order yourself a Mag-Hytec cover from Ebay. Replace cover and fluids with Royal Purple synthetic. Now you'll have an o-ring seal, drain/fill plugs and extra capacity.

Worked for me.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:56 PM
i was going to order a mag-hytec but instead i just ordered another cover from ford for $40, i know that mag-hytec cover is good and all but just dont have that kind of money right now. my problem is i dont know if the valvoline has friction modifier in it or not, because i do not want to add a tube of it if the gear oil already has it.
thanks

Quick Reply: Rear end looks to be leaking