6" rough country suspension lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6" rough country suspension lift

I am about ready to buy a new vehicle, but i have a few questions.

i plan on getting an older 4wd f150 (around 1993) with the 300 straight 6 with manual transmission, but i want 38's.
is this feasible with only a 6" lift?

i would get the cheapest one, it raises the front 6" by replacing the coils i believe, and the rear is raised by 3" blocks and add-a-leaf.

now, if 6" of lift isn't enough, i suppose i could lift it to 8", by replacing the rear 3" blocks with 5" blocks, and getting 2" spacers for the front, however, i'm a little weary about spacers on the coils. How bad is the wear on all the joints when you add spacers? Also, i know you need to extend the brake lines, but what else do you need to do? If i could run 38's on a 6" lift with a little fender trimming, i would be willing to do it.

I'm just looking for a little guidance here.

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:35 PM
As anyone would tell you 38" with a 6" lift is pushing it...I would give yourself some more room, do a 6" lift with a 3" BL too top it off. That will give you enough room too squeeze 38's under there. Do you really need 38's or could you substitute for some 35's or so? Remember tires get seemingly unreasonably more expensive once you jump the 35" range.
~Phil

Old 11-22-2007, 07:12 PM
I think you're right about the body lift.

6" suspension and 3" body should be good.

I don't NEED 38's, but i sure would like to have them.
It's kind of a pissing contest between my father and I, he likes to pick on my little ranger because he has an f250 turbo diesel with 35's, so I would get a kick out of being taller than him.

I like the super swamper TSL's, and the price is actually cheaper on the 38's than the 35's.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never had a f150 in that body style because I never liked the front ends on them but my friends have.I helped a friend of mine put a 6in rough country lift on his 94 f150 but he already had a 3in body and he ran 38in gumbo mudders.He only ran the tires for a while and went back to 35's because he didn't regear and he didn't like the power loss with the 38's and a stock 302.With a straight 6,I would definently regear.He also had a problem with blowing out spider gears on the rear 8.8 with the 38's.The 8.8 rear end in those trucks is pretty weak so I would think about upgrading the rear carrier to an aftermarket one like eaton or maybe a detroit locker.I had another friend that had a 90 bronco with a 6in lift and a 300 straight 6 and he regeared to 4.56's and ran 35in boggers and that thing was pretty sweet offroad but of course boggers wear out really quick on the road and ride like crap but it was a really nice setup and looked awesome.

Quick Reply: 6" rough country suspension lift