Need Help with Helpers

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with Helpers

I've done the search about helpers and everyone seems to push the air bag systems. I know nothing about these things but I do know that I need something to lift the back of my truck under load. I haul dirt, mulch and etc. and the bed really rides pretty low at times. I would like to get some help (pun intended) with what I really need.
Background; my truck is a hauler; 00, standard cab, 4.2 six, 5spd, 2whl drive. It's not a daily driver, no great stereo or fancy wheels. I haul stuff in it.
I want to keep the back end up under load but I hate the idea of spending the money the air bags go for. On the other hand, if the leaf spring helpers are worthless I don't want to go that route.
I need info from the ones who have been there. What have you used and did it work, or not?
I'm willing to get the right parts for the job, I just don't want to waste my money. Help appreciated.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 AM
So, no opinions on either bags or leaf spring add-ons.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:20 AM
I've heard more people like bags vs springs but I have no personal experience to compair them. The people with the bags have said they really like em, this comming from couriers visiting shipping dock where I worked. I wish I were more help.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bags are the way to go, period! There when you need them, gone when you don't. However, based on your description of your needs, I for once honestly think the helper springs may be right up your alley. Since you indicate you use the truck to haul all the time, I'm guessing you're less inclined to care what it rides or sits like when empty. Plus like you said, the helper springs are cheaper.

Also try a little patience…people with honest, solid opinions on these subjects don't necessarily live on this board.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:47 PM
I appreciate the input and I am more than willing to give enough time to hear from people who have knowledge about this.
I'm assuming that the bags are pumped up after the load is put in the bed. What I'm unsure of is what the truck sits like with the extra leaf springs when the truck is empty. The back of this truck sits high enough already and I don't want it to sit even higher when empty.
If the extra leaf raises the bed even higher I'll go with the bags. As I said before I have no experience with this.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed an AAL for hauling my ATV and hooking to a trailer with atvs on it. It would squat pretty good without the AAL. It worked good but it rode pretty harsh and sat pretty high with nothing in the bed. I had the long AAL, btw.
I found a set of airbags at a steal and have been using them for 3 years now. They don't affect the ride when nothing is in the bed, and can handle a load of up to 50 4x4 treated posts plus concrete blocks. Definitely the way to go if you can swing it financially.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by jaws12
I installed an AAL for hauling my ATV and hooking to a trailer with atvs on it. It would squat pretty good without the AAL. It worked good but it rode pretty harsh and sat pretty high with nothing in the bed. I had the long AAL, btw.
I found a set of airbags at a steal and have been using them for 3 years now. They don't affect the ride when nothing is in the bed, and can handle a load of up to 50 4x4 treated posts plus concrete blocks. Definitely the way to go if you can swing it financially.
Thanks for the first hand comparison. As I stated earlier I am concerned about the height of the unladen truck. I'm not getting any younger and, once that load is in the bed, I have to get in there to get it out.
Money is not a problem, I just want the best tool for the job. I do like the ability of the airbag to be set at different levels.
Another question. Do you use an onboard compressor or a portable or an airbottle? And are you satisfied with what you use? Thanks.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:26 PM
The AAL's will add a tiny bit of lift when empty, yes. But maybe only an inch or so. Nothing dramatic. The downside to AAL's is they are harsh on the ride when empty. You can set up airbags to suit your budget. Obviously on board compressor and auto leveling is top shelf if budget allows. Most run the air lines where you just pump,them up with a compressor or bottle or something. End result is the same. You can add air before or after applying the load; doesn't matter. For my heavy trailer, I already know the ideal pressure I want (from trial and error) so I add the air right before hooking up.

I really, really want an on board, cab controllable, auto-leveling for mine some day, but that's just for cool points. As for satisfied?? AAL's were never a consideration for me and never will be...how's that?

Last edited by Galaxy; 09-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Galaxy and jaws12, thanks to both of you. Good, honest info is what I asked for and the two of you have come through.
At this point the air bags look like what I need. I'm sure I'll be satisfied after reading what you have said.
As for the onboard, cab controllable, self leveling compressor? I don't think so. Cool points don't count too much for me; I still have a cassette deck in the dash. The only thing that might be more uncool would be an 8 track deck (and I still have one of those also).

Old 09-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used an on board compressor. I had a $50 piston pump from pep boys that had feet that could be bolted using insulators inside my engine bay. I plumbed the air line to it and wired my control switch to it also. It works great and has lasted well. It easily pumps the bags up to 100 lbs. I'm happy with it. I found the control switch and gauge on Craigslist for 50 shipped.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by jaws12
I used an on board compressor. I had a $50 piston pump from pep boys that had feet that could be bolted using insulators inside my engine bay. I plumbed the air line to it and wired my control switch to it also. It works great and has lasted well. It easily pumps the bags up to 100 lbs. I'm happy with it. I found the control switch and gauge on Craigslist for 50 shipped.
Nice…great idea. I had a $12 portable 250 psi (plugged into the cigarette lighter) air compressor from Harbor Freight that I kept behind the back seat for mine. Was pretty slow; took about 10 solid minutes to get both bags pumped up to ~75 psi, but it did the job! That thing lasted about 4 years before it died.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Check out the Hellwig leaf set up. I believe the lp-25 is the correct number. These add 2500 lbs to your to your capacity. Don't know if the add that much but they do help out. Very little effect on ride height and work in conjunction with your factory set. These were affordable and many favorable reviews last time I checked. Good luck, Rich

Old 09-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Air Lift RideControl adjustable air spring kits fit many popular leaf sprung vehicles, such as ½ ton and mini pickup trucks, full size and mini-vans, and SUVs. RideControl air springs provide up to 2000 pounds of leveling capacity*.
Air Lift adjustable air springs work with your existing suspension to give your vehicle more leveling support when you need it, so your vehicle is always level and stable. Proper weight distribution to all tires means more safety and a more comfortable ride as well. This results in:

Improved braking and steering—when all four tires are firmly on the ground, braking time is improved and steering are both improved
Less sway—Air springs increase spring rate and vastly improve vehicle stability
Less bottoming out—Air springs provide adjustable load support to help prevent bottoming out on rough roads.
Headlight aim—Only level and stable vehicles provide safe and proper headlight aiming
Less porposing—Even vehicles which don’t squat when loaded can begin to "porpoise" vertically when towing heavy trailers. Adjustable air springs dramatically reduce this problem for a safer, more comfortable ride.
More even tire wear—when weight is evenly distributed to all four tires, tires wear more evenly.
Less sway—Air springs increase spring rate and vastly improve vehicle stability

Part# 59501 Price $232.25

Install Notes
http://www.catalograck.com/imgVD/AIL/MN-324_59501.pdf

Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Sponsor
Yes, just as T_S_S has stated above, the Air Lift 59501 would be the kit for you. Adjustability is definitely where it's at! Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be glad to help. And more info can be found on our site: Ride Control; Leaf Spring Leveling Kit.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Helpers